Pipe Size for Radiators

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by dax, Jul 21, 2015.

1. dax

dax New Member

Hi everybody.
    I'm sorry to bother you but I would like some advice. Recently, I paid for 15mm pipework, supplying radiators, to be replaced by 22mm as the original was considered to be too small for the load. I have just crawled under the floor to replace an alarm cable and noticed that not all the 15mm pipe had been replaced. Most of the 15mm pipe had been replaced by 22mm except for the last metre. It seems that the plumber had run out of pipe and simply connected the end of the old 15mm pipes to the new 22mm pipes. My question is: will it make any difference that the last metre is in 15mm? The total load fed by this pipework is 4.9Kw or 16700Btu/h and is powered by a condensing boiler.
    Thanks in advance, Dax

2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I think it is usual to do the runs in 22mm and then the radiator tails in 15mm.

3. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

dax, are you sure of your figures, an average semi would require 30.000 btu's for the heating, and if someone asked my to pipe it up all in 22mm pipe, i'd say Why???? the valve on the rads would restrict it to 15mm anyway, the norm is to come off the boiler at 22mm and at some point split into 15mm runs to feed the rads in 10mm,

FatHands likes this.
  4. dax

dax New Member

Hi tom.plum.
    Thanks for the reply.
    Perhaps I didn't explain the situation fully. I was told that it would be necessary to use 22mm pipe as a common feed and then the 22mm would be split into 15mm feeds to the three radiators (which is what you have described). However I have now found that this 22mm pipe has been reduced to 15mm before being split into the three feeds (15mm) to the radiators. (The 22mm pipe is about 6metres long before being reduced to 15mm for about a metre) Therefore, all three radiators are being fed through the 1 metre length of 15mm pipe.
    What I am asking is if this is acceptable. I know very little about flow rates through pipes but there appears to be no reason to use 22mm pipe if it is going to be reduced to 15mm whilst still carrying the same load.
    Dax

5. sam spade

sam spade Active Member

Don't worry about it. 15mm can easily carry 4.9 kW.

6. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

so there you have it, sam knows the figures,I know the nuts and bolts and we're both in agreement, sleep easy, o_O

7. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

If all the radiators get hot it works, if not upgrade, "simples"

8. benedict

benedict New Member

Seems more than adequate for the system described. Perhaps it's sludge build up if it still won't cope. Check if you have cold spots at the bottom of the radar which would indicate sludge and you may benefit from a flush of some description

9. dax

dax New Member

Thanks everybody for taking the time to reply. You've put my mind at rest and I will leave the pipework as it is.
    Dax