Pipework adjustments

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by IIABDFI, Oct 8, 2015.

Tags:
  1. IIABDFI

IIABDFI Member

I need to move an a pair of outlets, essentially two vertical pipes, each with a 90 degree elbow, and then coming out as a pair of horizontal pipes. This arrangement has been in place for approx 10 years.

I need to un-solder the bottom of the elbows, shorten the vertical pipes and re-attach.

The question is... Should I replace the elbows? (i.e. Is it a PITA/unwise to solder elbows with previous ancient solder on them)

Last edited: Oct 8, 2015
  2. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Never try to reuse old soldered fittings (unless you are desperate it's going home time on Friday night and you come across old imperial 3/4 copper:eek:) they are cheap as chips you will have trouble getting them on again because of old solder and the chances of a leak are sky high.
    Don't worry about un-soldering just cut the stand pipes to the new length you want. If you it will make the horizontal pipes too short by cutting then unsolder after you have cut the other pipe so you can pull and twist to remove. Reheat the old pipe end and wipe off any excess solder blobs left with clean rag.

IIABDFI likes this.
  3. IIABDFI

IIABDFI Member

Thanks. In my heart I felt that was the right approach but my cheap-skate tendencies were nagging me, I'll let the moths out of the wallet and buy some new bits.