PIR activated bathroom extractor fan?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Dr John C Bullas, Apr 24, 2010.

1. We have a shower/bathroom upstairs with an opening window, the shower is NOT electric, there is a condensation problem at present with no extraction

I would like to install an electric extractor fan over the shower but I do not want one which runs all the time the lights are on as the noise can be obtrusive especially as the bathroom adjoins our 3 yr olds room and we use it at night

Is it possible to have a fan that only works while the shower is occupied (with a run-on for a few minutes) as we have PIR lights in the toilet cubicles at work?

Another option would be a pull switch light a bathroom light pull that would stop and start it

I neither want to install ( or HAVE installed) anything that is unsafe nor anything that would not be able to be "sold on" if we ever move

I would appreciated the feedback of those in a position to either install or advise on what we are after

NO I am not a medical doctor ;) I'm a TARMAC DOCTOR(Highway Engineer with a vocationally related PhD) and not a wealthy man!

2. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Hi John

If you were to consider an occupancy detector, which is basically a ceiling mounted PIR, I think that would solve the problem. This would allow a standard extraction fan to be fitted (non-timer) that would be controlled by the occupancy detector. The detector can be pre-set to overrun the fan for several minutes.

If you wanted more control over the fan then a manual on-off switch would be the solution. This can be in the form of a pull-cord fan where the pull-cord is attached to the fan itself. Or you can have a ceiling mounted pull-cord switch fittted for control of the fan.

I have not gone in to any technical requirements as I assume you would have an electrician indstall it?

Good luck.

3. cliffy brown

cliffy brown New Member

a humidistat would be the best option

4. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

humidistat

pfft

run on and on and on and on and on and on and on

no cliffy. NO!

5. This sounds like a workable solution the PIR AND a switch in parallel?

Are you interested in quoting me to do this work on a professional warranted basis?

email: john dot bullas at gmail dot com

6. cliffy brown

cliffy brown New Member

run on and on and on and on and on and on and on

till the humidity has gone, yeah really useless

7. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Which area of the UK are you in John?

8. cliffy brown

cliffy brown New Member

dont do it john, it'll only end in another tragedy

9. Removed 4

Removed 4 New Member

Doctor John: Extractor fans aren't always the solution to condensation/mould problems - not on their own, anyway.

The thing you have to avoid in such a room, is cold wall and ceiling surfaces. This can be achieved by either heating the room adequately or by insulating it in some way, or a combination of those two measures.

The colder the room, the more condensation will form. So, it's a simple matter of balancing the heating with a gentle extraction rate.

Lucia.

10. "it'll only end in another tragedy"... meaning?

11. Accaman

Accaman New Member

I heard if you spit on the inside of your snorkel mask it dont steam up...try this method on yer walls...;)

12. I need to move downstairs and
    closer to low tide so the
    outside of the walls are
    underwater maybe?

13. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Only problem I see with an 'occupancy detector', is that if you are in the shower(you may have a door or a curtain), the PIR might not be able to 'see' you, or detect you, so after the normal run, it may well switch itself off until you emerge from the shower(or indeed a relaxing bath - will it detect you when you are 90% submerged and motionless) ?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

14. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

PIR fans are excellent in my opinion..don't forget to whip a isolator outside the bathroom door OP..this allows you to use the John at night without the fan noise waking people up unnecessarily.

PS..whip some 3C + E in..even though T + E is the cable used for hook up from switch or whatever..;)

15. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

16. seemless

seemless New Member

Dr John, just drill a 4" hole through your wall and fit a pull cord operated fan. Switch on/switch off.

Take a permanent live and neutral from a local lighting point.

Don't tell anyone what you've done, nor that you've ever done it if you come to sell, as you'll promptly be arrested and never see your family again.

:)

17. DUDE123

DUDE123 Member

could you not fit an inline fan in the roof space, alot of them when running are nearly silent, and you could also mount them on rubber washers to stop vibration (if there was any)

?

18. fabregas

fabregas New Member

or suspend it from brickline

19. Removed 4

Removed 4 New Member

Arsenal 0 - Man City 0........

Goodbye Arsenal, so long Fabby - ta ta!

x

20. Shame my enjoyment of the match was ruined by the two blokes sitting in front of me who insisted on talking all the way through the match about a PIR activated bathroom extractor fan :)