PIR or EIC

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by PATAFIT, Jul 27, 2006.

1. PATAFIT

PATAFIT New Member

I have been asked to do some testing where others have done some installation - I always explain that I can only give it a PIR because I did not do the installation and therefore would not issue a EIC. Done a job where this happened because the electrician did a runner ( but good electrician, some personal dispute). Anyway I did a PIR and LBC will not accept it. I don't see how we can overcome this without cheating. Any ideas, oh wise ones!
  2. fooman

fooman New Member

well tell the LBC to do what there paid for and do there own tests then if they are not happy. Its included in there fees
  3. Ripped Off

Ripped Off New Member

Did you see the installation at first fix ie all boxes cable runs open etc etc. If so you can sign the certs.
  4. PATAFIT

PATAFIT New Member

The guy that did the first fix and installation has a very reputable name, however I was not there and did not witness any of the installation
  5. Camelspit

Camelspit New Member

Don't see what choice the LBC have, if someone other than the installer is to sign for it only a PIR is possible as described in the part P document.
  6. copdog

copdog New Member

Was it an niceic red pir ?
  7. Rabbit Rabbit

Rabbit Rabbit New Member

Not this old chestnut again....

A PIR is just that a REPORT.

An EIC is just that a CERTIFICATE.

LABC are quite within their rights to demand a CERTIFICATE.
  8. X

X New Member

The guy that did the first fix and installation has a very reputable name

Then why can't he sign the bits he can sign and you just sign what you can sign.
  9. The Trician

The Trician New Member

You worry too much!
    Just get the ferker signed off - and get paid.

TT
  10. ppe

ppe New Member

TT

Come now... you know that is not the correct option.

unless the guy is sure about the install etc it could be a big mistake!
  11. PATAFIT

PATAFIT New Member

The guy left cos he had a personal fall out with the bloke having the work done - hence he never issued a certificate. It was stated that LABC are within their writes to ask for EIC - Yes they are but if the installer does not want to issue one or he drops dead after finishing the job but before the writing the certificate then what options are there. By the way when a guy gets permission through LABC to do his own work then what sort of certificates do LABC require, cos the guy doing the work could be good at installing but not competent in testing - food for thought!!
  12. X

X New Member

Only sign what you can put your name to.

Any thing else ain't your problem.
  13. fooman

fooman New Member

ferk me

if labc are involved it means someone has paind there fees to them for the job. well in that case they are oblidged to get the install tested themselves !!!
  14. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Interesting one this. Fact is, until a new install has been certified and passed then if one spark does a runner and leaves it for another to finish then I dont see why a EIC cannot be issued. After all the spark taking over the new install to complete it is only doing the same blooming tests as the original spark would do. I would stop messing around and give the LABC an EIC. If you take over a job then you must accept that you are just finishing it and an EIC is the proper cert. PIR would be valid for EXISTING installations several years old. Thats my take on it and it would appear to support what the LABC want too.

UP
  15. but surely you will be signing that cables have been run in correct place etc not at angles fro9m sockets and the like
  16. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

LABC are within their
    RIGHTS to ask for EIC - Yes they are but if the
    installer does not want to issue one or he drops dead
    after finishing the job but before the writing the
    certificate then what options are there.

To finish the job and do the EIC. For crissakes sparks really take the **** when it comes to installs. Whats the probleM

UP
  17. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

but surely you will be signing that cables have been
    run in correct place etc not at angles fro9m sockets
    and the like

If the spark is working to 16th edition then why question it? If you suspect he is a cowboy then you rip the ferkin lot out and start again.
  18. good point, but will customer pay, its ok to say walk away but it maybe only work bloke got
  19. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

good point, but will customer pay, its ok to say walk
    away but it maybe only work bloke got

The point I am trying to make is USE COMMON SENSE. I really dont see what the problemj is in a second spark signing off a first sparks work if he has been doing it properly. If the installation looks ***** and is definitely a cowboy job then you just walk away and let some other sucker sign it off. I would just do a fwe simple tests to satisfy meself and complet eit no worries. Too many ego maniacs in this trade think that they and they alone are the only sparks capable of doing an insatll properly. For ferk sake I would we really miffed if someone refused to take over one of my jobs.........

UP
  20. The Trician

The Trician New Member

Exactly U/P. That's what I was trying to say a whole page ago!
    It's as if some of these folks just don't want the money!

Think about it this way - Just how many sparks actually bothered to test their work before Part P11ss came along?

How many installations actually killed people because "You can't see the cable runs" before Part P11ss came along?

Use common sense for ferk's sake.

If you sign off a PIR for example - which, after inspection & testing states that the installation complies with BS7671, have you inspected every cable run?
    NO! Of course you haven't! Are you signing off someone else's work? Of course you are!

There's a little paragraph which states that "Cables concealed in walls/under floors/generally within the fabric of the building have not been inspected".

So why not put this in with the EIC as a limitation?

C'mon guys, get with the program - or send me a cert and I'll sign it off from here and post it back to you - £150'll do the trick thank you.

TT