PIR or EIC

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by PATAFIT, Jul 27, 2006.

1. Camelspit

Camelspit New Member

Not this old chestnut again....

A PIR is just that a REPORT.

An EIC is just that a CERTIFICATE.

LABC are quite within their rights to demand a
    CERTIFICATE.

The LABC can demand what they like no third party can legally fill out a EIC, not unless they have the whole job rewired. If the LABC want to get it tested themselves it will have to be a PIR otherwise they are not complying with Part P themselves.

This from the Part P document :-

1.29 A third party could only sign a BS 7671:2001 Periodic Inspection Report or similar. The Report would indicate that electrical safety tests had been carried out on the installation which met BS 7671:2001 criteria, but it could not verify that the installation complied fully with BS 7671:2001 requirements – for example with regard to routing of hidden cables

I am not for Part P, I just don't see why a LABC should be able to DEMAND an EIC when it would be illegal to issue one.

2. PATAFIT

PATAFIT New Member

Thanks Camelspit, my sentiment exactly. I have been a bit surprised by 1 or 2 replies, telling me otherwise, and people i had previously respected on this site!

3. X

X New Member

I just don't see why a LABC should be able to DEMAND an EIC

Maybe cos it was or is part of the planning permission.

4. Camelspit

Camelspit New Member

Maybe cos it was or is part of the planning
    permission.

Yes it is, but in a job that I am dealing with at the moment ( A block of 6 Flats ) the original sparks has done a runner with the job virtually finished.

The job visually looks OK but I don't know him from Adam. I can test it but only legally issue a PIR.

If the LABC won't except it thats their's and the builders problem to sort out, not mine.

5. X

X New Member

If the LABC won't except it thats their's and the builders problem to sort out, not mine.

100% correct...

However.. you could suggest to the builder that he / her signs for the design and the construction, and you sign for the testing ?

6. noconduit

noconduit New Member

As far as I understand it before Part P you were liable to be prosecuted if your installation went tts up & someone got hurt.
    Now you can be prosecuted simply for not following the procedures as set out in Part P.
    It's alright ranting about what a load of sht it all is but we are now potentially subject to the whims of some petty jobsworth in LABC.
    -Or some petty jobsworth in LABC in 10 years time when the property you've signed off is sold on or worked on.

7. noconduit

noconduit New Member

And one more thing.
    As was pointed out to me the notification & certification process creates a possible audit path for the IR.
    Sign off a job for £100.00 & 12 months later you're sat in I.R. office being told that you MUST have been paid at least 3K for that re-wire. -It's possible.

8. Chester

Chester New Member

Why not use Form 2, sign for the I&T, leave the D&C boxes blank, or beter still highlight them, then send it back to the BC for them to decide what to do?
    Unless someone makes a ruling on this one, it will keep coming back to bite us in the **** for years...

C'mon guys, get with the program - or send me a cert and I'll sign it off from here and post it back to you - £150'll do the trick thank you.
    TT

Trician & Unphased, your attitude to the law is way out of line - if you don't like the way it is, find something to do that doesn't have rules.

It only takes stupid one liners like this to have people talking about us in the same sentence as kitchen fitters.

Chester.