PIR + Plasterboard?

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by CrawfW, Aug 17, 2016.

1. CrawfW

CrawfW Member

Evening,

Can i fix PIR insulation to rafters, then drill through it to secure plasterboard?

If i use 75mm PIR, that seems like using long screws for plaster board - can they be standard ones, rather than plasterboard ones? Perhaps with washer's to stop the heads pulling through the board?

I was hoping to fit large pieces of the insulation to the bottom of the joists, rather than messing around cutting it to fit between them.

I was thinking of boarding a ceiling with the combined Plasterboard+PIR products, but both of the (Big Name) Builder's Merchants i went to to get some were astonished. One proposed a full pallet, the other swore that such a thing didn't exist - despite me pointing to it in their catalogue......

Advice appreciated!

Crawf

2. BMC2000

BMC2000 Screwfix Select

Use insulation washers and screws up to fit the PIR. Use plaster board screws of about 105 length to fix the plaster board over fixing back into joists

3. CrawfW

CrawfW Member

Are insulation washer different to penny washers etc? All i can find are amazingly expensive things for cavity walls......

4. BMC2000

BMC2000 Screwfix Select

5. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

6. CrawfW

CrawfW Member

Great. Much appreciated.

7. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Slightly misread your post, you want to fix to rather than between. I used those to hold the insulation between the rafters - two layers of insulation 80mm thick with staggered joints. I would cut them approx to size, quite a quick job with the right tool then use off cuts to force the top one to one side and the under one to the other thus minimising any gaps. It is not a hard job and once you have done a few it becomes easy. As I did, go for two layers of half thickness.