PIR Problem.

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by hollywood, Jul 1, 2016.

1. hollywood

hollywood New Member

I have two outdoor security lights each with a stand-alone PIR.
    The system is wired so that the triggering of either PIR lights up both security lights.
    I am currently replacing one of the PIRs using a Screwfix code 11291.
    The new PIR has 4 connections. Neutral (blue), earth, live (brown) and load(white).
    The existing cable coming in from the roof space has blue, earth, red and yellow.
    I have connected blue to blue, red to brown and yellow to white.
    The problem is that at dusk the lights illuminate and stay on. I have checked the detection area for heat or
    reflective sources as suggested but all appears OK.
    Possible wiring error?

2. TP&N

TP&N Active Member

Fitted a few of them not had a problem , Check the dusk to dawn sensor and read the instructions cant remember exactly but I know you have do set it up in a certain way unless they have changed things

3. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

Did you just decide to do this or did you actually verify that they are connected to the same pole of the supply?

4. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

Follow the instructions in section 6 of the manual that came with the light. Cover the sensor and it should go off.

Kind regards

5. hollywood

hollywood New Member

Thanks for the replies.
    I have done nothing since my original post but, inexplicably, the system has started working normally. I can only think that this must be down to
    an intermittent fault with the sensor.
    I will monitor the situation and perhaps get Screwfix to exchange the PIR unit as it is obviously unreliable.
    Any observations on this action welcome.
    Thanks again for your interest,
    Regards.

6. hollywood

hollywood New Member

Success.
    Screwfix changed the PIR without question and this cured the problem.
    Thanks for your replies.
    regards to all.

7. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

PIR problem