Place yer bets.

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by longboat, Jun 8, 2017.

1. btiw2

btiw2 Screwfix Select

I'm not sure I follow your point.
    No party won a majority.
    If we are to have a government at all then it will necessarily be one that involves some sort of cooperation between parties without majorities- because that's all we have.

2. I got as far as seeing who's vid it was. That's around 6 seconds?

3. btiw2

btiw2 Screwfix Select

Oh good. It's the whiny millennial whining about whiny millennials guy.

Out of respect for you Phil I made it through the whole video.
    Then the graphic came on the end...

It's bleedin' infowars.com!

"Sandyhook massacre was fake", "the government is using fluoride in water for mind control (buy our toothpaste - only $9.95)", "aeroplane contrails are New World Order plots to (do something - I'm not sure what)" conspiracy nut job infowars.

That's where you're getting your opinions now? That's proper fringe stuff Phil.
    I feel an intervention is necessary[1] like we need to get you deprogrammed from some weird cult.

But briefly.
    1. Sure. Anyone who can add up knows that the Labour party didn't win, but what have they actually lost?
    The Conservative party had a majority. They lost it. It's a pretty big thing to lose.
    The Labour party were in opposition, they now have a stronger opposition.
    I agree with the point that Mr Corbyn is delusional if he think he can form a government, but no-one can get away from the fact that the conservatives lost (threw away? destroyed?) a majority and the Labour party is a stronger opposition than it was.

2. So if someone displays a flag they agree with every position that was carried out under that flag? Are English football supporters endorsing the opium wars?
    It was a kid with a commie flag, 'cos he thought it was cool - he's not Stalin.
    The young man presenting those videos needs to get a grip and stop being such a drama queen - as do half the people at those rallies.

3. I don't understand what the DUP have to do with fundamentalist Muslims (that sounds like the start of joke).
    Religious fundamentalism when it's incompatible with a civil society? Sure, it's bad whether it's Christian or Muslim. Is that it?
    The Muslim Council of Britain didn't win any seats so the Conservative party aren't looking for a supply and confidence deal with them.
    Protesting the DUP seems legitimate whilst politicians are looking at making a deal with the DUP.
    I didn't see any kids defending Muslims with anti-LGBT beliefs or who support FGM - just whiny guy saying that they do. It's easy to criticize someone if you get to decide what they believe.

But I'm sure infowars just thinks I'm a shill for the Illuminati and George Soros, so whatever.

[1] Well, it would be if I cared about you.

Jord86, Lanc and Deleted member 33931 like this.
  4. That isn't where Phil gets his info from now. It's where he always has.

That twit (--a-) in the vid is a well-known ult-right 'spiracy'ist.

5. btiw2

btiw2 Screwfix Select

I only know him from Phil's posts. I guess I don't get out much.

The Jonathan Pie videos that Longs posts are also of someone whining about politics, however I think those ones are funny.
    Perhaps Phil's guy just needs to lighten up a bit to get his point across.

So political you-tube creators out there:
    1. What are you doing on the Screwfix forum?
    2. If you're going to whine about politics do it in a proper resigned and stoically British sort of way. Less snide, more "oh ***".

6. Yes, Pie is funny (although you generally cannae handle more than one rant per fortnight...) and he has a go at everybody - good ol' balanced satire.

The loon in Phil's vid has, sadly, nailed it for his intended target audience. They love a good OTT rant, and Phil also finds it 'funny'. So, jobbie jobbed.

He is a complete arrisol, tho'.

7. btiw2

btiw2 Screwfix Select

Anyway, I don't know when LGBT rights became such an important thing in mainland British politics? Isn't this sorted now?
    I understand that things are still a bit 1950s in NI, but lots of things are stuck in the 1950s in NI (Grammar schools, abortions) - they need time to sort themselves out.
    But in England, Wales and Scotland are LGBT rights still an issue?
    If they are missing some rights, then whatever, let them have them and can we then talk about something interesting.

I put these issues in my "free and I don't really care" box.

So my "do I care" filter in action:
    LGBT want more rights? What's it going to cost? Just some goatskin? Is it hurting anyone (other than the goat?)? No? Sure - knock yourself out (I hear that you like that sort of thing).
    Fox hunting? I'm pretty sure I'd be vilified if I went to a park with a pack of dogs and set them on the squirrels, but whatever. It's not like foxes are cute - there aren't foxes at petting zoos. Free? Have it - tally ho!
    Sign language to be recognized as an official language? Free? I hear you, have it. I SAID "I HEAR YOU, HAVE IT"
    Students don't have to pay tuition fees? That sounds nice, free? No? How much? ELEVEN BILLION QUID A YEAR?! Errrrmmmm... No. You're going to need a proper mandate for that.

8. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

9. Phil the Paver

So the "This is funny" title means what to you then????

Funny and serious are two completely different meaning but you somehow manage to tie then together. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

10. Phil the Paver

He certainly doesn't do himself any favours on the personality front, if he was a bit more serious he would probably get more respect, he does makes some very good points, though he also makes some completely stupid ones, but we all do that, DAs a prime example.:D

11. fillyboy

fillyboy Screwfix Select

I've not seen this 'Infowars' site, it sounds like a right wing version of The Guardian.