Planning consent

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by oldpete, Sep 19, 2017.

1. oldpete

oldpete New Member

Hi,
    New to this forum and would like to ask a question of any builders.
    My neighbour has just demolished his conservatory and his builder has left the concrete base in and added onto it to build an extension instead. I estimate the extra footings to be about 15 inches deep. They have married into the existing brick work for the old conservatory to create a single story extension about 3.5 metres square.There was no insulation put under the new "extra " base, just filled in with rubble where needed and screeded level. My questions are, do you think planning permission was required for such a small extension and would it be subject to building control? To the best of my knowledge no building inspector has been near the site. Hope I have explained myself ok.

2. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

Planning almost certainly not: Lawful Development unless over height.
    Building Regs? Not if its a conservatory still but otherwise yes

3. Quite likely that it's within the permitted extension size allowance, so quite possibly no PP required.

But Building Control? Too bludy right.

Is this a supposedly reputable building company?

4. I understand even connies need to conform, with insulated floors etc?

5. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

Conservatories need to comply with rules on safety glass, that's all

6. Cheers, Steve.

I really thought things changed around late '90s. I built a connie at that time, and recall it just managed to avoid some reg or other. When I subsequently sold the house, I was asked about this by the buyer's solicitor, so managed to persuade them it was built before this 'requirement'.

Can't remember what it was tho'...

7. oldpete

oldpete New Member

It is a signed up van and matching t shirts building company etc . Don't seem very professional to me, not considering neighbours etc with vans and parking etc. I checked on council planning website and no plans submitted and no inspections registered yet , and the job is almost finished.

8. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

The requirement to apply for planning permission rests with the homeowner. Likewise for building regs(generally speaking)

9. oldpete

oldpete New Member

Didn't realise it was down to homeowner, thought it was builders job. How much cost does it put on the job for planning permission and building inspection etc.

10. stuart44

stuart44 Screwfix Select

Depends on the size of the extension, but regs for an average extension through LA building control will leave enough from £500 for a couple of pints.

11. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Do you not get on with your neighbour to ask him any queries then?

12. Doall

Doall Active Member

Need to get out more Pete

Jord86 likes this.
  13. oldpete

oldpete New Member

Only wish I could mate.

14. candoabitofmoststuff

candoabitofmoststuff Screwfix Select

When I had a "conservatory" built a few years ago, (2011), this situation was...

If I was keeping the original external door, (French doors), building control weren't interested at all, as the conservatory was just an external add on, like a lean-to or a shed.
    As, however, I was removing the original external door, thus creating an opening into the conservatory, then it isn't actually a "conservatory", but an "extension" and so it was necessary to involve building control and meet all the regs, including insulation.

Regards,

Cando

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  15. BMC2000

BMC2000 Screwfix Select

Sounds like your looking to snare your neighbour for some reason!

16. oldpete

oldpete New Member

No. Just thinking of having the same thing done. Just want to make sure we stick to the rules and stuff, wouldn't like for it to come back and bite us on the bum one day if we moved.Get on very well with neighbours actually.

17. BMC2000

BMC2000 Screwfix Select

Just ask them who did their plans etc

PS, I would want an insulated floor slab regardless of if I need planning or building approval