Planning Permission for Velux Type Windows??

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Robdiyman, Feb 24, 2006.

1. Robdiyman

Robdiyman New Member

Do I need to apply for planning permission to fit a Velux type window, it's not over looking a road / neighbour or even a street, just my back garden and some fields.

2. chappers

chappers Member

you dont need planning for a velux full stop unless you are in ac onservation area(then you must use a conservation window which sits flush with the roof)or your building is listed.

3. trench

trench New Member

Planning permission not normally required for velux windows unless you live in an upper flat (permitted development rules more onerus when you are in a flat/maisonette as opposed to a house)You'll need B/regs approval too unless your installer is FENSA registered.

4. iceml

iceml New Member

would you need permission to put them in the front of the roof overlooking a street

5. inkpad

inkpad New Member

FENSA registered installers can only do replacement of existing windows.

They are not registered to form new openings in the structure.

So unless its existing windows being replaced then building regs would be needed.

But for this case (if its an unheated loft and insulated at ceiling level) then the concern would be over the structural alteration to the existing rafters (ie - the trimming to fit the window in).

6. trench

trench New Member

iceml
    The permitted development rights I mentioned are a list of things that the planning dept have decided do not need planning permission. If your home is a house (rather than a flat) you will not need planning permission for velux windows no matter which side of the roof you put them on. Chappers mentioned the conservation area point which should also be considered. I'm not sure what the PD rights are in conservation areas. Best bet is to ring up your council and ask to speak to development control.

7. Dereekoo

Dereekoo Member

Interestingly Rushcliffe BC in Nottinghamshire consider that an application is required for a Velux window in the roof space. Does anyone know a Council that has said different? I have put mine in without informing the Council and no doubt it will come to light when I sell the house (I may be dead so why worry). What can the Coucil do about it, come and rip it out??

8. iceml

iceml New Member

nice one trench for your wisdom.

9. handyman 2

handyman 2 New Member

Interestingly Rushcliffe BC in Nottinghamshire
    consider that an application is required for a Velux
    window in the roof space.

Another Stealth Tax if you ask me.
    As far as I'm aware BC don't need to be informed and Planning isn't needed for fitting a Velux - and if it is I'll need to lie low for a while as I've fitted many

10. trench

trench New Member

FENSA registered installers can only do replacement
    of existing windows.

They are not registered to form new openings in the
    structure.

Quite right inkpad, my post off the mark a bit. Structural alts should involve BC. Should be ok for fensa company to fit small velux to loft areas where no rafter trimming required tho?

11. gadget man

gadget man Screwfix Select

Interestingly Rushcliffe BC in Nottinghamshire
    consider that an application is required for a
    Velux
    window in the roof space.

Another Stealth Tax if you ask me.
    As far as I'm aware BC don't need to be informed and
    Planning isn't needed for fitting a Velux - and if it
    is I'll need to lie low for a while as I've fitted
    many

Me too, I've fitted dozens!!

12. yorkshireboy

yorkshireboy Member

I may be wrong but I don,t think you can fit as many rooflights as you like on a front facing roof due to planning laws

13. mudhut

mudhut New Member

example exceptions where pp is needed are listed building, conservation area, national park or roof slope fronting highway - ie most "front" roof slopes.

14. chappers

chappers Member

if you are just fitting velux type windows to your front roof these are exempt from planning constraints, its only the addition of a dormer or additions to the front facade that come under the restrictionas of PP