Planning permission...how long does it last for???

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by CosRush, Aug 20, 2008.

1. CosRush

CosRush New Member

If you get planning permission, how long does it last for and does the end period mean that ALL work has to be completed???

2. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

Usually lasts for 5 years I believe but if you make a significant start, say laying the foundations and then stop for whatever reason then there is no expiration date, so theoretically you could complete 10 years after starting! :O

3. CosRush

CosRush New Member

Hmmmm, that whats I thought, but im sure I read somewhere a while ago that planning permission had been reduced to 3 years........ And I was never sure as to whether the work had to be fully completed or not.

4. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

Only sure fire way is to ring ya local BCO and check then! ;)

5. Grafter

Grafter New Member

Our notice for our extension renovation (building full plans not planning permission) is 3 years.

6. hallbeck

hallbeck New Member

If you have made a significant start then planning never runs out. I know building regs are different but my BCO told me that he recently signed off a loft that had been started in the 80s!

7. CosRush

CosRush New Member

In simple terms, we want to make a start on a small extension but we dont think we'll be able to fund its total completion within 3 years hence my question.

I have contacted my council already but as yet have not had a reply.

Thanks for the replies from all so far.

8. ­

­ New Member

There is no expiry date once you have made a significant start. The best way to ensure that the 'significant start' is registered is to get the first BCO inspection recorded as done (usually foundations dug) and then concrete them and get that inspected too. You have now officially 'started'. There is <u>no</u> time limit on the completion.

9. Onclejean

Onclejean New Member

While there is no stated time limit on completion, the law considers that planning applications should be made in good faith for work that will be done in a reasonable time and not to obtain rights in a distant future period. If work is started and left unfinished for a lengthy period any person who objected to the application may apply for revocation on the grounds that the application was not made in good faith and any person who wants to do something that would conflict with the above application may also use those grounds to have the permission revoked or changed.
    Onclejean