plaster before tiling?

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by cl0391, Feb 20, 2015.

1. cl0391

cl0391 New Member

Well, i am total a noob here, do apology if i am asking a silly question here.
    I had a builder doing my bath room, but he went back to his country last week, and left me an unfinished bathroom.....
    He used these green/lime colour plaster boards in bathroom, which is water proofing... this is fine, but the bad side is he did not fit the board properly. the wall is not flat/straight. i used a piece of timber to measure, at the worst spot i can see gap almost 1 cm.
    I was thinking use bonding to repair the wall, so i can have a nice surface for tiling. but after i have done research on the form, i see the bonding is very absorbent of water. so the question comes.... if i want to tile a nice wall (doesn't have to be pro, but at least it need to be good quality) what should i do at this point to prepare for tiling?

p.s. i am living in ground floor, using small tiles, approx 20 pieces for 1 sqm.

2. Ghost-1

Ghost-1 Active Member

The green boards are water resistant plasterboard, not waterproof. If the builder has made a mess of it, why not remove it and put it straight/level.

Bonding plaster is NOT suitable to tile onto, it would need to be skimmed over with multibond.

If it is in a shower, think about tanking it as well.

FatHands likes this.
  3. Assuming that you want to keep costs down - using 'foreign' labour, are we? :) - and also assuming that the builder used screws and not nails to fasten the boards, then a compromise to what Ghost suggests; unscrew the existing boards, pack out thoroughly (don't leave any gaps that could allow movement (this will likely require screwing straight additional battens to the existing bent studs...) and refit the existing.

Good enough for general bathroom tiles areas as long as you use a good bed of quality tile adhesive and ideally cement-based grout.

For shower/wet areas, either tank the boards as Ghost says, or over-board with 'proper' stuff.

4. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

hardibacker all the way!

5. cl0391

cl0391 New Member

thank you so much guys, Devil's... you spot on point....seems that is A LOT of work I have to do this weekend T-T...

6. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Don't bodge a bodge, do as DA has suggested and you should be fine, subject to your tiling.

7. cl0391

cl0391 New Member

hi, ghost, the multibond you talking about, is it Multi finish plaster?
    http://www.wickes.co.uk/British-Gypsum-Thistle-Multi-Finish-Plaster-25kg/p/220056

if it is not, can you recommend me an product name/brand?

it is a bath tub/shower i plan to have in my bath room, do i still need tanking system?

8. Ghost-1

Ghost-1 Active Member

That's the stuff, but unless you have done it before, and can.......get a plasterer in.

Tanking the shower area is the way to go.......usually a brush on tanking liquid, with a mesh tape for corners etc etc. Around £50, so not too dear for peace of mind.

9. cl0391

cl0391 New Member

thank you so much for replying.
    I am going to do the work myself, and the plaster board is a bit too heavy for me to carry and screw.... ok, i am just lazy, trying to save some work..... can I just skim plaster over the existing plaster board to make it flat, then directly tiling on to it?
    of course I'll take your advice to use tanking in the shower area, but do i need to use any water resistance additive to mix the Multi finish plaster for other walls?
    put this way, the flat is going to rent out, and going to be sold in 2,3 years time. I just want my work last over 4,5 years ...

10. Ghost-1

Ghost-1 Active Member

If you sort the plasterboard out level/flat.........you don't need to plaster it at all.......tile directly onto the plasterboard, because if you are not experienced in plastering, you could end up in a worse state.

Sort the plaster board, it's not that heavy.......then prime with acrylic primer.......then tile it.

FatHands likes this.
  11. cl0391

cl0391 New Member

well, plastering is the only thing that i am good at... but i'll take your advice to sort the plasterboard out. have the foundation good is always a good idea.
    but just for my curiosity, the multi bond plaster on plaster board idea does work, isn't it? or you are trying to tell me in the polite way, that it is a bad idea, the tiles on plaster won't last long?

12. Ghost-1

Ghost-1 Active Member

Tiling on plaster is ok, as long as your not fitting large format tiles. Still prime the plaster (obviously when dry) with acrylic primer.

NOT PVA.

Why plaster though.....not really necessary.

Bare plasterboard can take more weight than plastered plasterboard.
    Cement board can take even more.

13. cl0391

cl0391 New Member

thank you sooo much for your patience. I am new to the industry, just want to learn more about materials characters. I'll take your advice, cz they are so right. cheers.

14. Cl0391 (catchy name, by the way), can you do what you are suggesting? Yes, if you really want to. It's just not the best method.

Ie - if I saw a trades peep lining a wall for me in preparation for tiling, finding out it wasn't plumb and then trying to straighten it using plaster, I'd be cross.

I'm not sure what the best plaster material to use would be, but - yes - you can apply it and use a long straight edge to level out your wall ready for tiling.

It doesn't even have to be done to a particularly good standard - as long as it's level with no major sticky-out bits or hollows, then it'll be suitable for tiling.

Then ideally 'tank', I think, it so's it's fully waterproof before tiling, or I guess chust prime it as explained above if it's only for non-wet areas.

It ain't going to come crashing down, and it'll only fail through water ingress if you are careless and/or do a poor job of sealing it.

So - go ahead (tbh, it's probably what I would do. But, then, I am a cowboy...)

cl0391 likes this.