Plaster Difference

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by ShovelIt, Apr 27, 2010.

1. ShovelIt

ShovelIt New Member

How do Folks

I've learnt to plaster without any tutition and though I say it myself I do a damn good job.

Bit of a query here I've only ever used Carlite Bonding and Multi Finish,whats the difference between Multi Finish and Thistle/Board Finish?

Many thanks for any response. :)

2. dryliner essex

dryliner essex New Member

MULTI FINISH IS USED FOR EVERY APPLICATION,WHERE AS THISTLE/BOARD FINISH WAS ONLY USE ON BOARD.CARLITE FINISH WAS USED FOR OVER PLASTER AND STIRATHITE(NOT SURE IF THIS IS HOW ITS SPELT)WAS FOR SAND & CEMENT FINISH.I THINK THIS IS RIGHT.NOWDAYS ITS MULTI FINISH EVERYWHERE.

3. ShovelIt

ShovelIt New Member

Thanks DE

Ijust thought it might of given more texture or can be put on thicker?

Gonna give it a whirl on me next plastering job and see how I handle it?

Cheers.

4. Goodwill

Goodwill Member

Shovelit,

Thistle, general usage:

Undercoats

Bonding is for low suction surfaces whereas Browning is those of moderate suction.

Finish Coats

Board Finish is for low to medium suction whereas Multi-Finish is for nearly all variations of suction.

I think Dryliner was referring to Sirapite in his post, a finishing plaster in the anhydrous group. Thistle belongs to the retarded hemihydrates.

A man shouldn't heap praise upon himself but should instead let his work be judged by those in the know. He is thus likely to learn much in his favour.

;)

5. ShovelIt

ShovelIt New Member

;)

True,but whatever job I do I do it in the manner I was brought upto do itby me old fella ie if you're going to do a job give it 100% regadless of the surroundings,othewise don't think you can do it.

In the throws of plastering a chimney breast at the mo so when I've completed it I'll thrrow a couple of pics up on the site and then you can judge. :)

Personally I know my work is tops,so many have seen it neighbours and friends,I ain't braggin its just that too many tradesmen say they are good at their job when they ain't and plastering is an ART and its very hard to find a Master Plasterer these days.
    ;)

6. empty7

empty7 New Member

Multifinish is a Sirapite derivative and allows for a second set - that is you can scour it and thus get an almost perfect finish.

Thistle / Board finish does not allow this second set, you have to get it 'right first time' , if you try scouring it the plaster will die....

7. ShovelIt

ShovelIt New Member

Hi Empty7

I can plaster but can you tell me in layman terms what you mean by scouring?

8. empty7

empty7 New Member

Scouring:

‘the hard rubbing of the finishing coat, using a cross-grain or plastic float with water.
    It compacts and re-tempers the surface which then allows polishing with a metal float. This will assist in obtaining a perfectly flat surface, also eliminates the possibility of cracking and crazing.’

Only done on quality work these days or in lime work where you tend to scour every coat.

As I said, cannot be done with board finish – only with multi-finish.

Hope this helps…..

9. ShovelIt

ShovelIt New Member

Hah,polishing...well thats what I do with the Multi Finish when its about to harden.
    Use the blade to even out and spray water to bing level with the addition of incements of plaster where needed.

Another Q if ye don't mind? how long after the first coat is it normally to wait for applying the second coat? Igive it twenty to thity minutes.

Thanks for replies E7 and anyone else that contributed. ;)

10. empty7

empty7 New Member

No it isn't polishing it's 'scouring'

Reread my post - "It compacts and re-tempers the surface which then allows polishing with a metal float."

Get a plastic float, wear it in a bit and have a go, see the difference.......

The answer to Q2 is 'how long is a piece of string' - it depends on the background suction, ambient moisture, age and type of plaster, air temperature etc.........

11. hallbeck

hallbeck New Member

I get the second coat on straight after the first.

When i mix the first coat i mix too much. I then use the dregs of the first coat in the second coat. It catalyses the set and means that both coats will set at the same time. Saves washing out after the first coat too.

I only mix half as much second coat as first coat and make it twice as runny.

12. mikey mckinnon

mikey mckinnon New Member

Hi looking for a little bit of advice. I have recently moved into a new house and after preparing the walls some plaster fell off. The person who skimmed the wall didnt remove the wooden straps built into the walls so it wasn't my fault :)

Anyway I have removed the wood and now left with a big patch needing plastered. The scratch coat has also came off so im back to the brick work now.

Should I use thistle bonding to build up the hole then skim over with muilti finish?

Thanks

13. board finish is for board, multifinish you can use on pre-plastered walls

plastering company doncaster

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2015