Plaster falling off walls

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by white rabbit, Dec 8, 2016.

1. white rabbit

white rabbit Member

Hi all,

Would really appreciate some help...

I've just bought a new house (1930's terrace) and following a full rewire I had all the walls re-skimmed so that they were finished properly after all the chasing etc. (this was done about a week ago).

I went to visit the house this evening to meet the electrician before he begins the 2nd fix of the rewire. When I got there he showed me big patches of the wall on the hallway (upstairs) where the plaster has now come away from the wall and fallen off.

Apparently the plasterers had put two layers of pva on before re-skimming but they had some concerns when doing the work on the hallway that the moisture was being sucked out the plaster very quickly.

Where the plaster has come off, it has taken not just the newly skimmed layer off but also the original layer of plaster leaving the original render exposed.

They have had a go a filling the area where the plaster has come away and have said that they think they can sort it by applying another layer and sanding it all down smooth.

I've added some photos so you can see what I'm talking about.

I'd be really grateful for some advice on what to do next.

I'm a bit concerned that this may continue to happen (I tapped a very dry looking patch of wall while I was over tonight and after applying some pressure the plaster just gave way in that spot (as in one of the photos) - so could be there is more of this to come?

I'm also wondering if adding the mist coat before painting could cause further drying out issues with more plaster coming away?

Should I just fill in all the patches and get someone to re-skim over this - would that work?

I just want to make sure that this is the end of the issue and then get proper finish on the wall I as really don't want a patchwork of filler everywhere unless it is not noticeable.

Any advice would be really appreciated!

Cheers,

J

Attached Files:

2. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Sounds like the original plaster was already beginning to delaminate in areas beforehand. You might get away patching, but it also maybe a good time to really assess the problem, which then may mean hacking the lot off and starting again. Given the age of the house, it really needs a sand/cement backing plaster applying to the brickwork before skimming.

Joe95, koolpc and KIAB like this.
  3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Pointless trying to patch, today you patch here, tomorrow there, & it will carry on like that, wasting money patching, totally agree with CGN.[​IMG]

4. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Where did you get that hat, where did you get that hat? :)

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Got to be seasonal. [​IMG]

Joe95 and CGN like this.
  6. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Agree about starting again. Be a pity if you get it looking nice only for these issues to raise their ugly head again in a few months.

KIAB and CGN like this.
  7. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Empty house too Kool...no fun when you've moved in!

koolpc likes this.
  8. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Agree

9. white rabbit

white rabbit Member

Thanks guys. Great advice.

So maybe a dumb question, but would you leave the walls that look fine alone I.e. where there is no evidence of plaster coming away or major dry patches?

Are there any signs I should look out for on the walls where the plaster is still all intact to assess and confirm its ok (rather than stripping off the plaster from every wall)?

10. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Check for hollow sound by tapping. Will indicate if plaster has 'blown'.
    Some internal walls may well be stud work with lath and plaster on. These will often feel 'spongy' to the touch.

11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Nope, do the lot.

Seen were peeps have only done rooms affected, & decorated whole house only for other rooms not replastered to drop their plaster weeks, months later.
    Just as well have all the mess now, while house is empty.

Also check condition of ceilings, especially if it's plaster & lath, a very,messy & dirty job if one needs replacing.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
    Joe95, koolpc and CGN like this.
  12. white rabbit

white rabbit Member

KIAB, I've only seen the issue in the hallway and every room in the whole house has been reskimmed at a cost of thousands of pounds, so I'd really like to avoid taking everything off and starting again if at all possible.

I really do understand your point though.

If I got a really decent plasterer in to give a full assessment of the walls could that be worth a shot?

Or maybe I could leave the walls as they are (I.e. Not decorate them for a few more weeks or even longer) and reassess the situation then?

Another problem is that we're moving into the house next weekend :(

13. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Get someone to take a butchers and dont rush into decorating

14. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Agree.

I'm your plasterer didn't notice the problem before skimming.

15. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

It may be localised...don't panic :)

16. white rabbit

white rabbit Member

Thanks guys :)

17. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

True. Get a good plasterer to look and assess (not arses)

18. DaveF

DaveF Active Member

Ah it just happens sometimes that the original plaster wasn't too well stuck and when you do anything it falls off. In particular, re-plastering can loosen plaster that was otherwise firm. If you go around tapping the walls you can actually hear the difference when you reach a problem area. The plaster sounds less solid. Ultimately you may well go around marking such areas and removing them but that can result in even more plaster loosening so it can at first seem like a never ending process. I tend to tackle it one room at a time when decorating.

KIAB likes this.
  19. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

It's been there 80 years or so, hasn't done too bad.