Plaster skim coat

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Gatt, May 20, 2015.

1. Gatt

Gatt Active Member

How hard is it to skim over wooden walls , covered in hardboard ? Many thanks in advance .

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Glossy side, you got no chance, other side maybe possibble, but I don't think it would last, as the hardboard contracts it will fall off.

3. The hardboard would expand lots when dampened by the skim coat, and then contract afterwards. Do you like a 'crackle' finish?

4. Gatt

Gatt Active Member

Cheers guys, would it make any difference, if it was all nailed , say 300mm apart , with annular ring nails ?

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Nope!

Hardboard isn't designed to get damp or wet.

6. gpierce

gpierce Active Member

If hardboard can or is nailed onto this wall, can plasterboard not be fixed on instead?

7. Gatt. Even if nailed as you suggest, the hardboard would bow out between each fixing - sorry, it just isn't suitable, and I doubt very very much you'd have any success with doing this.

Perhaps possibly maybe if you were to coat it first with waterproof PVA or similar, but still a chance I personally wouldn;t dream of taking - and I'm the biggest cowboy out there.

Plasterboard is the obvious way to go.

8. Gatt

Gatt Active Member

I'm not doing the skimming, , I'm doing the doors and floors . It's a house I'm working in , don't think the young couple, can afford to get the whole house sheeted with plasterboard, and replace all skirtings and facings . Plasterer coming tonight to see it . Cheers guys for your advice.

9. I'd have thought a more successful (and cheaper) solution would be to line-paper the h'board and that should make it pretty much ready for paint.

If the plasterer reckons he can make this work, perhaps a written assurance from him would be useful - so the folks can make a claim if it doesn't.

PaulBlackpool and FatHands like this.
  10. Gatt

Gatt Active Member

Thanks DA .

11. You are soooo welcome.

(Please keep us posted as to how this turns out - it's an interesting one.)

12. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

I fear that it would bow even if pasted/papered!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

13. seen it all before

seen it all before Active Member

No self respecting plasterer would ever consider skimming over any wood sheet material. it will not last.

14. Gatt

Gatt Active Member

All good DA , thanks . Plasterer is doing the solid brick walls. All you guys were right, he wouldn't touch the hardboard one's , thanks again . Plus side for me , I get to sheet, some of the walls and a ceiling. Result all round

15. Excellent, and thanks for the feedback.

16. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Quite agree.

17. Thirded.

(This one could run and run...)

18. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Or not it would appear.

Oh ok then, fourthed. :rolleyes: :)

19. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

Fifthed.