Plaster/ tiling problem

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by Longdogs, Mar 21, 2016.

1. Longdogs

Longdogs New Member

Hi everyone.

I have just removed my corner shower and tiles in order to refurb. The tiles came off fine for most of the wall with no damage to the plaster but in the shower area, the plaster and what looks like a base render is loose on the wall. It looks like someone has made some sort of bodge in the past with a piece of plasterboard - hence the diagonal line in the plaster (see pic). the plaster was also a bit damp due to a dodgy previous installation.

I'm guessing that the best solution is to cover the entire wall in backerboard ready for re-tiling but I am not sure what to do about the loose plaster/render. I reckon I could knock most of it off easily but would rather not.

Is there a way of securing the existing plaster enough to be able to board over it or is it case of taking it all back to the brick work?

Cheers!

DSC00939ll.jpg

DSC00942.jpg

Attached Files:

2. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

hi,
    if you want to ensure it will last, i would hack any loose backing coat off, re-render and then use hardibacker board prior to tiling in any wet areas.

Longdogs likes this.
  3. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Only diy here but have remedied same problem myself;

Remove all loose render and plaster,
    If it sounds hollow when tapped, remove it. Go back to secure and sound render

If the whole lot comes off, can seem daunting but do the job once and do it properly

Not worth risking fixing tile backer and tiles to loose substrate - it's just false economy and may be a problem in the future

Brush off all dust and loose material
    PVA wall with 1-5 water mix, let dry. Second coat PVA, semi dry then skim over with bonding plaster - lovely stuff, dirt cheap, long working time, good depth application in 1 hit

Take into account finished levels with any remaining plastered sections, then depths of backer board, tiles and adhesive

Get bonding plaster nice and level, doesn't need to be totally perfect as backer boards will cover

Allow to fully dry, screw on backer boards, tape and fill joints if you really want to, ready for tiling

It's a bit suspicious how clean those tiles have come off that plaster - very little adhesive remaining and little damage to plaster - they were basically waiting to fall off !

Good luck with this project

tore81 and Longdogs like this.
  4. Longdogs

Longdogs New Member

Thanks guys for your replies.

Yes, it looks like I will have to go for it. :(

just one further question about the backerboard, You say screw it on, does that require wall plugs or are the screws designed to tap straight into masonry?

5. Longdogs

Longdogs New Member

Thanks.

Yes, those tiles were just hanging on I think which I originally saw as a bonus - not so sure now.

6. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

I know that the tile board manufacturers recommended using their own screws - which of course are expensive !

Not sure if the screws are stainless maybe so won't rust ?
    Don't know, not bothered myself, just used single thread wood screws and red plugs, pilot hole boards first

Not saying this is ok, just the way I did my shower and all rock solid after probably 8 years at least

tore81 and Longdogs like this.
  7. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

Hi, Hardibacker do some videos on their staff fitting it on their site to a stud wall, but in your case you could use dry wall adhesive and some stainless screws for belt and braces.

Longdogs likes this.
  8. Longdogs

Longdogs New Member

Thanks all.

just reached the point of no return with the old plaster.

9. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Can always skim after bonding and use a brush on tanking membrane.

tore81 likes this.
  10. Longdogs

Longdogs New Member

I would love to skim it but unfortunately I can't plaster. I've tried it but ended up with more on my shoes than the wall. Could probably cope with the bonding though so might give it a go.
    Thanks for the replies so far.