Plaster

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by The Trician, Feb 4, 2004.

1. The Trician

The Trician New Member

What is your advice on whether or not it is a good and useful idea to add PVA to the plaster mix? Does PVA assist with waterproofing/adhesion?

I usually stuff loads of it into a morter or concrete mix, along with cementone number 2.

Any views advice will be gratefully recieved.

Ta:)

Attached Files:

2. ormus1

ormus1 New Member

not really sure, but i was always told that it helped the spreadability.

3. The Trician

The Trician New Member

Yes, I find that it spreads like butter and sticks like **** to a blanket:) But I wondered if it worked the same with plaster. Multifinish or whatever?

4. spike

spike Guest

I usually water down some pva (3:1)and give the surface a coat, then when tacky apply plaster, never had a problem so far!

5. The Trician

The Trician New Member

Do any of you plasteres out there actually stick some PVA in your bucket with the plaster/water mix?

6. Yics

Yics New Member

Hi just had a look on british gypsum site and in there FAQ I found this..... We would not recommend the use of any additives to our plasters, as this may affect the setting time and possibly the adhesive properties of the plaster.
    and from personal experience I am inclined to agree anything in the water tends to accelerate the setting time dramatically

Hope this helps .........

Yics

7. The Trician

The Trician New Member

Thanks for that. I'll check out their site myself.

Cheers for the useful pointer.

8. float n set

float n set New Member

Actually adding pva to plaster slows down the setting time. I sed to awhile ago and sometimes do only big areas when ayou need that little extra time.

9. fooman

fooman New Member

Actually adding pva to plaster slows down the setting
    time. I sed to awhile ago and sometimes do only big
    areas when ayou need that little extra time.

actually replying to a post thats almost 3 years old is worse than using PVA :^O

10. layiton

layiton New Member

Shot!!