plasterboard/drylining

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by daddy2coull, Feb 25, 2007.

1. daddy2coull

daddy2coull New Member

hi folks, yet another question.

i am insulating the inside walls of my house over which i am plasterboarding, it has been suggested to me the i just fill the joins on the plasterboard and lining paper over the top.

this has only been suggested because i live in an ex railway property but the trains still run past my house and i am worried about vibration and cracking which i am told would be more likely if the plasterboard was covered properly?

is this the case or am i being fed a load of c##p?

thanks

adam

2. why not go the whole hog and make the place earthquake proof...

3. The Brickie

The Brickie New Member

Should you ever wish to remove the lining paper your knackered.... If you get it properly plastered, then line it you can redecorate as many times as you like.

4. pep

pep Member

If drylining it then once taper edge boards are up you need to tape the joints with scrim tape before filling or these joints will crack, once tape is applied we use a coat of fast set to fill in the tapered edge, then a second coat about 10 inches wide feathered with a trowel then a final coat of 12 inches of a finishing compound.
    Once your done and all dry then a special sealer or a thinned coat of emulsion can be applied so your not wallpapering directly onto board. If your painting then as lond as your joints are done and featered in properly then just paint as normal after your thinned coat.
    The finishing coats are nearly all "easy sanding" vatieties so its easy to get the joint dead right with a light sand once finished.

5. pep

pep Member

also once painted you can apply and remove wallpaper as you would on a normally plastered wall.
    A lot less messier than plastering, faster decoration due to not having to wait for plaster to cure.
    On site we tape a joint and house one day and the decorators are in the next.

6. The Brickie

The Brickie New Member

Still think plastering is a better job IMHO

7. pep

pep Member

Another advantage if you live near a railway line is that you can use a sound check board which cuts a lot of the noise transfer through the wall.

8. jase the space

jase the space New Member

daddy2coull

Looks like we are having the same questions at the moment!

Is it for sure that papered un-skimmed plasterboard cannot be stripped at a later date (even if it has been suitably sealed)?

I am wondering whether I can get away with un-skimmed plasterboard in my room. Presumably the taped/filled jointing method alone will only work with tapered edge boards and only if all boards are perfectly level? I guess you can get away with slight ridges if you are skimming though?

Is there any problem with skimming tapered edge boards? I might start with the intention of not skimming but then revert to skimming if the taped/filled result in unsatisfactory.

9. pep

pep Member

once sealed or painted any paper put on later can be taken off. you can use square edge board but with taper edge the tape when applied is below the surface of the board. even if skimming you should still tape and joint the board or the new plaster can crack along the joint.

10. pep

pep Member

also you'd be surprised at some of the joints we have to do, some of them have quite large steps.
    when screwing board to metal partitioning or timber stud it will be level anyway as long as the studding is level.

11. GordonK

GordonK Member

As someone who has inherited a house where they previous owner didn't plaster a single bit of plasterboard but instead wallpapered in top of thick lining paper there is no effing way to get the wall back to the plasterboard finish ... water the paper/steam it etc nothing works that doesn't somehow end up with ripping the plasterboard paper outer .... There ought to be a law about plasterboard being wallpapered on ... its cheap and nasty ... do it properly and plaster it first ... then You can have years of doing different things without worrying about having to spend days replacing the plasterboard with new board and plastering it ... me .. bitter? Absolutely ...

12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Seen it done quit a bit over the years, walls, ceilings.:mad:

Stripped a ceiling that had Anaglypta straight onto bare plasterboard, ended up reboarding & skimming ceiling.:(

13. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Wallpaper is a pain in the backside. It looks nice, but whenever you damage it or need to work around it, it becomes a right mess.

There is worse. Woodchip. I had to strip three rooms of the stuff last week. Tried the steamer, tried the striping knife, tried the Rotex, gave up and took the SDS to the plaster:oops:.

14. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Reviving a 10 year old post, is that a record :):)

15. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

I've seen 2004 threads resurrected :p

KIAB likes this.
  16. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Never noticed the date.:oops:

Joe95 likes this.
  17. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Even worse than that ARTEX.:mad:

CGN and Joe95 like this.
  18. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

It might be an old thread, but it's still relevant.

Paper taping plasterboard joints can look unrecognizable compared to plastered walls if done right. I've seen it done well and it can work.

CGN and KIAB like this.
  19. GordonK

GordonK Member

Tells you how much I hate someone wallpapering straight onto plasterboard ..I look up all the old threads and vent my frustration on them ...

But yes never noticed the date :)