Plasterboard in garage - cheap way to make garage useable

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by NickyT88, Jan 23, 2015.

1. NickyT88

NickyT88 New Member

Hi,

We have a garage attached to the side of the house and is constructed of brick/block.

We want a cheap way to make the garage useable as a gym, i.e. some insulation and covering to the walls and ceiling.

The walls are brick/block and would like to know if it is suitable to dot-dab some insulated plasterboard to the walls? Especially if ok against the wall of the house or whether there'd be issues with heat. The ceiling has wooden supports so can fasten boards to the ceiling and pack with additional insulation. Lighting and an electrical socket is already in place.

Don't want it to cost loads or lose lots of the room space by packing the walls out with insulation.

TIA

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

The fact it's block and brick means it should have a cavity, if so dot a dabbing insulated PB in to the walls should be fine, the garage floor is an area you need to insulate to retain heat, this could be as simple as a 75mm insulation board, such as celotex then a floating t&g chipboard flooring on top covered by what ever finish you like.

3. NickyT88

NickyT88 New Member

Ah not sure I was very clear, I think it is just one brick deep, no cavity. Wanted to dot dab plasterboard but think I'm going to have a moisture issue so looked into film backed plasterboard but realise this can't be dot-dabbed, so guess I'm back to timber fixing on wall and plasterboard screwed into these. It's to be used as a gym so think we were just going to try the foam jigsaw type pieces for a soft flooring if that would suffice.

4. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

Save your money and workout harder, whitewash the walls for added light