Plasterboard screws with wide head

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Possom, Jul 23, 2017.

1. Possom

Possom Member

The ceiling plaster in my house is plastered over lathes (1930s).

There is a ~4ft long break in the plaster due to, it appears, someone before I owned my home having moved a heavy water tank in the loft which formed the crack.

This means that one section of plaster along the break hangs a few mm lower.

I was wondering if I could possibly attach some plasterboard screws with wide heads through it into the joists above, then just fill in the joint along the crack.

I tried to screw in a standard 8mm diameter plasterboard screw, though the plaster was not held by this. The screw was just going into the plaster, without supporting it.

Perhaps there is a plasterboard screw with a wide head for this situation? Thanks.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Just pull it all down, safer option, & reboard, highly unlikely you will make a successful repair.
    You'll probably find that a lot more is iffy, if someone been bumping a heavy metal tank.

Possom likes this.
  3. Possom

Possom Member

If I want to prep it for a plasterer to do this, I suppose I would just take down the plaster in question, leaving the lathes in place. I presume they can just plaster directly onto the old lathes which are there?

Hopefully it's just this section as a 2cm hole had been punctured in the ceiling which I think must have been a copper pipe connected from the tank.

But I'll continue to remove the rest of the ceiling paper...

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

So many potential problems with old plaster lath ceiling, not worth the outlay repairing if you have a 4' crack in it,pull the whole lot down, reboard & skim.
    Seen ceilings patch, only for a section to come down in another part of the room.

Possom likes this.
  5. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Or just leave the ceiling in place and reboard over the top - much less mess. These days I would go with insulated plasterboard a little bit thicker but makes a lot of difference to heat loss

leesparkykent, Possom and KIAB like this.
  6. Possom

Possom Member

Wow - the entire ceiling. Not what I was hoping for.:eek:

Under this scenario, are the lathes retained to be plastered over? Or are these also removed and modern plasterboard attached directly onto the beams in the ceiling?

7. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Trying to patch lath and plaster can be done but it is very time consuming filling patching and sanding and quite often the ceiling will need skimming as the patch will always show. However, removing lath and plaster is one of the filthiest building tasks so quite often it is just left in place and boarded over with nice new sheets

Plasterboard can be screwed through the old ceiling into the existing joists then you can either fill and tape the joints yourself or get it skimmed by a pro.
    3 sheets of plasterboard will cost you about £20 from somewhere like B&Q which is more than enough for an average bedroom.

Possom and KIAB like this.
  8. Possom

Possom Member

This sort of product?
    http://www.diy.com/departments/gypr...sterboard-l2400mm-w1200mm-t27mm/405793_BQ.prd
    I do have recently installed loft insulation just above this bedroom ceiling, so I don't know to what extent this plasterboard would improve heat insulation still further.

Was just having a look at the B&Q website there to see the different plasterboards available. If doing the above, should tapered or square edge be used, or 12.5mm or 9.5mm thickness used?

9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Tapered edge.

Normally it was 9.5mm for over boarding, but a lot of peeps prefer to use the 12.5mm nowadays.

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Knauf-Plasterboard-Tapered-Edge-2400x1200x12-5mm/p/220210

Tapered edge is for skimming, square edge was usually for a textured finish.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
    Possom likes this.
  10. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Prop ceiling. Clean other side. Vac. Seal with Pva. Pour plaster over and spread at the back. When dry remove props. It's one way to straighten old plaster ceilings... Wedi washers I use for dry wall screws to increase head size but only with plasterboard.

Possom likes this.
  11. Have to disagree.
    Tapered edge is for tape and jointing/Ames taping.
    Square edge is plastering/skimming.

DannyDoLittle and Wayners like this.
  12. Possom

Possom Member

That's interesting.

I can always ask a plasterer as to how the price would differ between this method and the aforementioned method of installing new plasterboard and skimming.

13. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Plastering above only really works on areas that have come loose. It's a simple diy fix. Probably best to overboard and skim if your getting a guy in to sort it. He ain't going to want to mess plus stand by his work messing about above if the ceiling is poor all over

Possom likes this.