plasterboard thickness for ceiling

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Mr Rusty, Jan 15, 2017.

1. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

Just ripped down the lath/plaster. What's the consensus for new PB for bedroom ceilings?. 9.5mm or 12.5mm?

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

9.5mm will do, 12.5 will be stronger, but why do you need strength in a ceiling, I go for less weight in both fitting and long term.

3. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

1/2"

longboat likes this.
  4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Bedroom 9.5mm will be ample.

5. BuilderCol

BuilderCol New Member

No need for anything heavier.

KIAB likes this.
  6. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

cheers. 9.5 it will be

7. BuilderCol

BuilderCol New Member

Good luck.... I hate doing ceilings!!

At least nowadays we don't have to use clout nails. The ones that pull out as you nail the other end......

KIAB likes this.
  8. masterdiy

masterdiy Screwfix Select

Unless you really want 12.5

Then again, why not 12.5 ????

9. BuilderCol

BuilderCol New Member

It's just heavier.

10. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

12.5 for me also. Can't remember the last time I used 9.5, for anything.
    If you're using full sheets it's a two man job or use a lift, so the weight difference doesn't really matter. Imo.

Joe95 likes this.
  11. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

Hmm. As 12.5 is actually cheaper from my merchant (£5.06 v £5.57 +vat full size sheet) and I've got help, and I've got some telescopic props, prob will use 12.5.

longboat likes this.
  12. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

£5.99 Inc VAT. In

2017-01-15 18.12.00.jpg

13. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

Y. OK £5.06 plus VAT is a £6.07 and I can get it delivered for that. :)

14. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Useful to have a bit in the van for patching/dabbing in sometimes.
    Use it occasionally to overboard old lath and plaster walls for a quick fix.
    Bit of slam strip around the door frames to widen them...job done :)

Joe95 likes this.
  15. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

I can't believe no one has asked what centres the ceiling joists are at, as that determines your plasterboard thickness to prevent sag in the board. I would never use 3/8ths on the ceiling, droops like an impotents family jewels, I'd use only on walls. Any joist spacing around 400mm use half inch board, 600mm centres use 15mm plasterboard, no noggins to support edges of the boards needed doing this.

16. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

Thanks jord. That's helpful. The joists are roughly at 400 but not too regularly spaced. Some a bit tighter. Id already decided I was going to install a couple of extra joists to pick up the board edges and yes at the moment there are no noggins so I have those to install as well. Hadn't thought about sag so def 12.5.

17. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Think about hiring a collated screw gun. Fill with a strip of 38mm screws and the board will be fixed in a few minutes. You will save hours - yes there is a cost but believe me, it is worth it when each screw takes maybe 5 seconds and is perfectly set.

Joe95 likes this.
  18. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

I remember putting up plasterboard at the house my Dad built years ago, think he used 9.5mm on one floor and 12.5mm on the other - can't remember which way round. And screws? Nah! We used nails...bang, bang, bang!

19. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Collated screws are still faster and more consistent.

K Kahlon likes this.
  20. wau5

wau5 Active Member

I'm still wondering why do someone even use 9.5mm? It's the same price for an inferior product.. if it would actually also cost less than sure.