Plasterboard tips please

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by koolpc, Nov 13, 2014.

1. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

I will be fixing my plasterboard to the stud work i have put up soon and need some advice.

The centres are approx 400mm. Do i need to put noggins in? There are 4 lengths of stud per board.

I have bought the drywall screws so will be using them.

Now, should i leave a gap at the bottom of the wall when fitting the plasterboard?. I have a suspended wooden floor where the finish will be laminate.

I have ordered 'Tapered edge' boards, 3mtr (high walls!) as recommended by a builder. I have a plasterer that is going to plaster the boards. Now, do i leave any gap between the boards when fixing them?

Also, i am going to fix coving. I have been told to fix that 'before' the plasterer plasters the wall?

Thanks for any help people

2. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Anyone?

3. Hi KeepKoolPc,

There was a similar thread about this recently. The gist was that - even tho' your studs are at the preferred 400mm centres - noggins should still be fitted as they increase the whole wall's rigidity a large amount. Might be especially important as your studs are 3m long.

I think put one row of noggins where the boards join height-wise.

P'board sheets should be butted tight against each other - no gap.

I think leave a - ooh - half inch gap along the floor. This isn't for the laminate flooring (the skirting will cover that) but just to help prevent creaks between the wall and floor in future. And also it'll be less likely for the plasterer to pick up grit from the floor when he's skimming.

(I could be wrong about that one^... :oops: )

Coving? Well, I know what I would do - skim first. To my eyes the edges on coving should be the full, crisp depth, and you won't have that if you fit it first and then skim to it.

Having said that, I could be wrong there too... :rolleyes: I suspect pros will use the skim to cover any gaps between the coving and the wall, and also make such a fine skim edge to the coving that it'll look spot on. And you could also argue that skim afterwards will make sure the coving doesn't come down again!

FatHands likes this.
  4. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

The only join is on the vertical as the boards are 3mtr in length and will be full from top to bottom

The coving was put on 'before' in our kitchen and look fine.

Great advice and many thanks

5. Cool, Kool.

In that case, a single row of noggins half-way - as shown on t'other thread - would appear to be the way to go.

As that poster's tag line says; 'do it once, do it right'.

6. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Will do. Cheers

7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Agree with DA re-cove fitting, might look fine as you say but fine isn't better than superb! :eek:

8. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Chances are that the coving will sit out a tad anyway, with the thickness of the adhesive used!

Then skim will bring it up(nice guideline for plasterer to get it straight), and any undulations in the skim(if skimmed before) will not need filling.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

9. charles monaghan

charles monaghan New Member

the tip for you is..... get a plasterer in

10. That's not helpful :p

11. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Well, decided to fix coving on first as it looks awesome in the kitchen. My
    Well, decided to fix coving on first as it looks awesome in the kitchen.

12. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Same guy that did my kitchen is doing the living room wall!

13. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Cheers. Just waiting for the 3mtr plasterboard to be delivered now. Been told approx a week. No rush as the tanalised batons were quite wet and i want to get them down to under 16% moisture before i install the insulation between them and the vapour barrier on top.

14. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

3mtr plasterboard refused today as all damaged! One board was completely broken in half!!

So, having 2.4's instead next week! Bit more baton work to do now!!

12.5mm would be fine for walls?