Plastered flex FCU Boiler power

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by fire, Jan 18, 2017.

?

Is this acceptable quality work

1. Yes

50.0%
  2. No

50.0%
  3. Maybe

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. fire

fire Well-Known Member

A friend called me because he was upset at the councils contractor from Wates Living Space which ibelive they then outsource the electrical contract work to Costswold Electrical.

The new kitchen they fitting required a new wiring which for the most part is all good but then i seen this.
    paulboilerflexplastered.jpe

The 1.5mm2 flex plastered into the wall heading into the back of the FCU.

paulsboilerplacement.jpe

What is your opinion on this workmanship, I think it is shabby and very unprofessional but the FCU is 2 inches away from the side of the boiler and 15cm horizontally away from the the gas cooker hobs and vertically 40cm high from the cookers hobs. Further more the boiler timer is 1 inch above the FCU and being as the controller is around 6 inches wide is falls directly above a naked flame from the cookers burner at obviously ~60cm hight above the naked flame or cooking hob area.

The plasterer did not plaster behind the pipes because he could not get behind them so his plan is to leave it like that or just cover the mess with tiles or pipe boxing. Note a small kitchen worktop about 65cm long is being fitted bellow the boiler...

2. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

looks fine to me. ultimately its up to the council to decide whether its good enough or not - they are paying for it. they also have a building control department.

3. fire

fire Well-Known Member

Well it is a complete rewire so the FCU is brand new so why not use one of these and do the job properly.

securing_the_fused_connection_unit_back_to_the_wall_big.jpg

slippyr4 likes this.
  4. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

You would need to check the cooker instructions for the area in which no combustible materials are allowed. If the fcu and timer are in the zone then yea, that's pretty rank.

5. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Is that 22mm EF coupler blown or unblown op?

6. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

It's a bit of a rubbish job, but I assume acceptable. Although, correct me if I'm wrong, doesn't the cable need to be a minimum depth in the wall?
    That cable will be a PITA if it needs replacing. Would be easier to leave it in there and cut both ends at the wall.
    I would not be surprised he's sliced the outer insulation on that flexible cable with the trowel too.

7. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Fire - it might be wise to remove the company names in your original post

8. Looks a pretty rough job.

9. You are thinking about being over 50mm so you do not need an RCD.

Joe95 likes this.
  10. tina lucinda lane

tina lucinda lane Screwfix Select

i would say this is totaly wrong and shouldnt have been done (oh and the council dont worry about building control i have seen some of the **** they do and get it passed even tho its wrong)

Joe95 likes this.
  11. slippyr4

slippyr4 Member

Not in a zone, is it.