plasterers peril

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by richspread, May 2, 2015.

1. richspread

richspread New Member

Hi all. I am a plasterer of 13 years experience and learnt to spread using board finish and it was lovely.

Moving direction from major new build to renovation, extension and private new build, I went to multi finish as you can use it for anything . Again lovely to use on any surface including board.

I've now gone back to a new build contractor and have to use board finish. Christ it's changed a bit.

I find the first coat goes of dead quick on me. 2nd coat seems to hang.

Add any water and it turns fatty.

Once ready for final trowel and cross trowel, I find the finish is nothing compared to multi. Struggle and mostly fail to achieve my usual bowling green affect finish

Clean tools and water.
    No over mixing.
    My laborer mixes no more than a bag a time to reduce sitting time.

First coat of up to 3 mixes.
    Flatten.
    Tidy second coat.
    Flatten.
    Trowel.
    Wet trowel.
    Cross trowel.

What am I missing with the board finish these days?

Any plasterers found the same difference between multi and board?

Cheersll. I am a plasterer of 13 years experience and learnt to spread using board finish and it was lovely.

Moving direction from major new build to renovation, extension and private new build, I went to multi finish as you can use it for anything . Again lovely to use on any surface including board.

I've now gone back to a new build contractor and have to use board finish. Christ it's changed a bit.

I find the first coat goes of dead quick on me. 2nd coat seems to hang.

Add any water and it turns fatty.

Once ready for final trowel and cross trowel, I find the finish is nothing compared to multi. Struggle and mostly fail to achieve my usual bowling green affect finish

Clean tools and water.
    No over mixing.
    My laborer mixes no more than a bag a time to reduce sitting time.

First coat of up to 3 mixes.
    Flatten.
    Tidy second coat.
    Flatten.
    Trowel.
    Wet trowel.
    Cross trowel.

What am I missing with the board finish these days?

Any plasterers found the same difference between multi and board?

Cheers

2. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

i think the moral of the story is dont use board finish mate!

3. richspread

richspread New Member

I'm getting that feeling mate!

Doing my nut in the stuff is.

Used to be lovely to use. Can't quite get to grips again yet.

FatHands likes this.
  4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I'm not a plasterer by trade, but can hold my own.
    Used board finish to skim kitchen ceiling back in January, what a nightmare just couldn't get it to work.
    Admitted defeat after a couple of tries, something has changed with board finish, had to go back to using multi finish.

After 30 years, I used a few trowels in that time, I bought myself a new toy, a Plaziflex skimming trowel,rather impressed with it, gave a lovely finish.

5. richspread

richspread New Member

Just had a look at the plaziflex trowel.

Looks good to be honest.

Have used a decorators spatula in my time for cross trowel. Left a lovely polished finish and even on board finish!

Killed my fingers though!

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Th
    That's the first thing I noticed with the plazi, no aching fingers or muscle spasm, cramp in my wrist, & I wasn't so heavy handed, found it easier to get a polished finish first time.

Last edited: May 2, 2015
  7. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

i will have to look at the plazi trowels fellas as my marshaltown has a bend in it on the one side (not sure how on earth how mind). where you getting them from?

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

FatHands likes this.
  9. richspread

richspread New Member

Yeah I had a quick look on ebay.

Looks like it could be my next investment.

Can they also be used for application and flattening or are they finishing only?

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

It's listed as a finishing trowel, but I use mine for everything flattening, skimming, finishing, trowelling up, but a pro plasterer probabley wouldn't.
    But, it took me a while to adapt to the trowel, as it lighter & more comfortable to use than my Marshaltown for a ceiling.
    And remove the blade & you have a 8" mini stainless steel trowel.