Plastering inside a fireplace - will Multifinish do?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by BlueDuck, Oct 2, 2006.

1. BlueDuck

BlueDuck New Member

I have created a straight through fireplace in my lounge, it was 2 rooms now 1, back to back chimneys now also knocked through.

I intend to install a woodburning stove in the 'tunnel'

I have rendered the inside with sand and cement, would it be OK to skim with multifinish or do I need something capable of withstanding more heat? I have heard about glass fibre board but dont really want to make the space any smaller.

Another alternative would be to tile onto the sand / cement render.

anyone else done anything similar?

Thanks

2. devil's advocate

devil's advocate New Member

It might depend a lot on what kind of gap you have between the stove and the sides - woodburners give out a huge amount of heat.

I suspect you could have problems - but I'm sure an expert on here will say.

What size gap are we talking about?

3. BlueDuck

BlueDuck New Member

The gap on each side of the stove will be about 80mm, just slightly more than the manufacturer recomends...... not massive is it.

4. nearnwales

nearnwales Member

It should be fine . Then I did new build we had a skim the garage ceiling to add extra fire protection so I think you'll be fine.

Why didn't you put a finish on the sand and cement , rubbed up with a float and sponge ?

5. newey

newey New Member

personally, I'd not use sand and cement, I'd use a sand and lime mix. Use the search for this, I'm sure it's been asked before

6. gardm1nt

gardm1nt New Member

I have seen a very similar and sucessfull job at the property I am curently working in.

I think plaster will be fine but it will be critical to allow FULL drying time before using the stove or youll get craking and delamination.

7. BlueDuck

BlueDuck New Member

thanks for the advice, i havent got the skill to get a plaster type finish on sand & cement but i did try.

getting it skimmed today and it will be several weeks before we install the stove. if it blows then it was worth a try, will have to just remove the plaster and tile.
    fingers crossed. Thanks for the advice.

8. Baxter

Baxter New Member

I have been told by a stove fitter, who is admittedly a bit of a perfectionist, that plasterboard and multifinish is no good as the plasterboard has a cardboard/paper layer that will perish under the stove heat and the multifinish won't stand up to the heat.

He recommended rendering it with a sharp sand and cement mix with plenty of plasticiser/PVA in it but no multifinish. Lots of thin layers he said. Anybody else heard this or is it overkill?

9. billrobbo1

billrobbo1 New Member

I have fitted a multi stove and had the inside of the walls plastered by a plasterer and it has blown off with the heat, I did want him to use just mortar and lime mix but he said it would be ok, but now I have to have it redone, the guy is sound and is coming back to sort it out for me, I would say if you don't have the room then mortar with lime used as a scratch coat buffed up the best you can should do the job.

10. sootylum

sootylum New Member

Make sure the surface is good and sound to take the mortar finish. I use lime mortar mix at 6 parts sand, 1 part lime and 1 part cement. I've used this often and its only given me problems once when the customer lit the stove before the render was properly dry and it cracked.

11. chok120

chok120 New Member

Mix one part Gypsum with two parts Vermiculite (used for industrial fire proofing). This plaster blend will not blow out with the heat.

Standard plaster will absorb moisture from the environment even after it has initially 'dried'. Using the fire will cause a temperature rise in the plaster. This usually manifests in expansion, causing the multi-finish to crack.

The vermiculite allows for expansion whilst also being fire-retardent.