Plastering Project

Discussion in 'Project Photos' started by Jitender, May 10, 2017.

1. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Just finished plastering the ceiling, arms are aching now.

Used the plaziflex, found it really easy to lay on the 1st coat of plaster, easy to get flat and with minimal tram lines. Managed to get the first coat on within 1/2 hour.

upload_2017-5-17_15-45-0.png

After 2nd coating and finishing first half, started doing the remaining half. The plasterboard are where built in wardrobe was fitted need more plaster to bring level with exixting surface, really should half applied a coat when doing the first half.
    upload_2017-5-17_15-46-26.png

2nd coat dried alot quicker and need to used the stainless stell blade trowl to flatten out.
    upload_2017-5-17_15-46-35.png

Did order the Refina Superflex2 trowel and thought I would have a go with this. Found it much easier to used than the Marshalltown gold bladed trowel. As blade is flexible ,it can only be used on final finishing. Found it really good to fill in any minor blemishes and voids. Also used it to feather in the joint with first application, went over with the brush to try and blend everything back in.

Ceiling is drying out tried best to get good finish, can only tell when first coat of paint goes on.

Deleted member 33931 and KIAB like this.
  2. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Looks like a great job!! Well done!!

3. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Thanks, aiming to get the room all finished by end of next week so I can get back on the loft.

Walls are all prepped so will paint the ceiling and wall at the same time.

A lot easier with the plaziflex. Was expecting to be finished later in the evening. Have to thanks Kiab for that.:)

KIAB likes this.
  4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I find it works even better with Multifinish than Uni Finish.:D

5. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Got a few quid knocked of a couple bags a two of days before expiry date.

B&Q sell it but not many bags compared to multi-finish.

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Never buy plaster expired or close to expiry date, tends to go off quicker, less working time.
    The cost of one bag of uni, you can buy two bags of multi finish.:)

Jitender likes this.
  7. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Second coat on second half started going off a lot quicker so had to use the stainless steel trowel on it. All drying out now may have over troweled and finish has a almost glossy look to it which is likely to be the PVA.

Seen quite a few videos on youtube now, and there is one guy who uses a sponge float after second coat.

8. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Managed to paint and finished the ceilings. Only minor filling was needed in places. Went over with sander the whole lot.

Put on 2 coats of bare plaster paint, and received 2 top coats.

upload_2017-5-19_19-22-56.png

Walls and ceiling look amazing. Lot of work went into chiseling out cracks then filling, sanding, filling, sanding...:( dust everywhere.

May as well spend time getting it right as only gets done every 5-7 years. Bedrrom been like that for over a year :oops:
    upload_2017-5-19_19-23-2.png

Expecting plasterer to come on Monday as have some more work, but thought I'd let him do it. Its the hallway and there are a few down-lights. Going to let him have a go on the plaziflex :)

Deleted member 33931 and KIAB like this.
  9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

:eek:

He will like so much, it will walk.:D

10. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

He's taught me quite a bit, so owe him something.

He took longer doing the smaller bedroom ceiling, but he is 58 years old :(. Don't think I would be able to do that at his age.

Next project will be to make a case to store the trowels in, spent over £100 on trowels and need to keep them looked after. Not to keen on the leather wallets, got some left over wood from door linings.

Going to sell off the large marshalltown trowel.

KIAB likes this.
  11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I struggled to do the artex ceiling in kitchen & dinning room here, I'm only 53, hard on the knees, back.:(
    This week replacing 5 radiators, & I am loosing the battle, a simple job I thought,done it many time over the last 38 years,but the back has gone, the kness hurt, & it has become a bigger job each day as you find more problems each time you lift the floorboards.

Drilled through a gas pipe, a first for me today, what idiot burys a copper pipe in a wall & plasters over gas fancock.:eek:

Last edited: May 19, 2017
  12. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Argh, bending backwards really ****s the back. Plastering ceilings must be a right ball [back] ache.

13. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

They are,especially artex ones, it's a job for the youngsters.

I'm 54 this year, & I just can't do ceilings any more, back, knees & shoulder problem,last week I decided to replace 5 radiators here, a simple job, done many times over the last 38 years, & I have to admit I'm struggling,had to go back on to the Tramadol, not doing much good though.

14. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

The plasterer turned up and plastered the ceiling in the hallway. I let him used the Plaziflex and Superflex trowel took some time for him to get used to the plastic blade as was wider than usual trowel also he put it flat on the plaster a few times which cause the trowel to stick to the plaster :)

He said he was going to look at buying the plaziflex as was a lot easier to work with during applying first and second coats, it glides on the hawk.

Ceiling was a lot difficult to do as had 6 down-lights which I had pulled out so it could be plastered around so quite a fiddly and hard to get long strokes.

KIAB likes this.
  15. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I also purchased a 5" Refina water brush to help clean up and plastering but found a Hamilton one from SF much better and 1/3 of the price cheaper.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 22, 2017
    Dr Bodgit and KIAB like this.
  16. fillyboy

fillyboy Screwfix Select

Plaziflex ordered. I'm quite excited.

17. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

:eek:

Excited by a plastic trowel...:rolleyes:

You will like it, well I like them, haven't used a metal trowel in 6 or 7 years now.

18. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Ceiling in bedroom came out good, just a small depression where the plasterboard was replaced. My fault as should have filled in first to build up thickness.

Eager to attempt another job but will be a while until I have anything to plaster.

Room is almost complete now Wednesday.

KIAB likes this.
  19. Yep - it's quite addictive, ain't it?!

Cracking job, Jit - you must feel truly chuffed. You certainly should.

KIAB likes this.
  20. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Plazi is great for ceilings being such a lightweight trowel, it's easier on the arms & back.:)