Plastering Rates

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by JoJo, Dec 4, 2004.

1. JoJo

JoJo Guest

How many square meters per day would you expect a team of 2 plasterers + 1 labour to complete for the following types of work, assuming they are employed on a daily rate?

1 Sand/cement render + finish coat onto new block wall

2 Tape joints plus skim onto plaster board wall

3 Tape joints plus skim onto plaster board ceiling (12ft above floor)

2. koksukker

koksukker New Member

how long is a piece of string?
    it's not just about how much work is done for what rate,
    it's the quality of the work that counts and you can't put a price on that

3. JoJo

JoJo Guest

Very helpful

I have 30 sq meters of Sand/cement render + finish coat and 170 sq meters of skim finish on plaster boards. I have been quoted that it will be 14 days work for a team of 2 plus 1. This seem excessive to me even for good quality work. I was just trying to get an idea if this is reasonable or not. I don't actually think that anyone is trying to rip me off but as the quote was done from plans I think it may simply be a mistake.

4. Jim

Jim Guest

Just had a new extention plastered, size is 5.5x3.5x2.4 mtres high with 3 metre opening to lounge and french doors and window to garden.
    Cost to skim walls and ceiling over plasterboard was £450, done in one day by two plasterers.
    Hope it helps
    PS I live in a suburb of London so that might hike up the price a bit but the job finish is superb.

5. Cornish Crofter

Cornish Crofter Active Member

Jojo's 14 days for 2 + 1 does seem a little high, however the sand and cement render is a bit of an open ender.

It all depends on what subsurface you're rendering onto. I made the mistake of coming under someone's estimate once and having to put anything up to 2 inches of render on a stone wall! That job took a week longer than planned.

Get some other quotes as a guide and go from there.

CC

6. 12benny

12benny New Member

jojo,
    Q1 How much was the quote?
    Q2 What is the "finish coat" that's going over the render?
    Q3 Is the render to a gable or damp-proof work?

7. handyman.

handyman. New Member

Hi, jojo, welcome to the forum.

My plasterer is £13 per hour plus materials. Cheshire.

8. JoJo

JoJo Guest

Some further information

The quote was 2000 pounds plus materials

The finish coat is finishing coat plaster to be ready for final decoration i.e. painting

The sand cement is onto the internal surface of a recently constructed black wall thickness will be about ½ inch. It is not gable or damp proof. Sorry if my wording suggested external wall.

9. wood butcher

wood butcher New Member

get three quotes and ask for references then you can decide which one to take after checking the references, you will probably find a vast difference in the prices you normally take the middle one.
    WB

10. kjm

kjm New Member

my rates for plastering comerically..., £6.00 m2 for 3mm setting coat labour and materials, £12.50m2 for 2 coat sand and cement work float finish,

A 2+1 gang will normally 1st coat 100m2 in a day and 2nd coat approx 40m2 Weather depending etc

2=1 on 3mm finish work the can or should achieve 80-90m2 finishe ceiling or wall

On private work you can uplift the rates by 30-40% for cash!! but remember 2=1 would need to cover £300 per day to earn a wage