Plastering tips

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by Charlie21, May 20, 2005.

1. nearnwales

nearnwales Member

If you have a couple of walls on by the time you get to second coat. the first coat will of pulled in enough to second coat anyway. A nice tight coat to flatten the wall.

2. VF

VF New Member

"i personally use about 7-10 bags depending most done in 1 day 160 metres "

You must have someone mixing, feeding, and cleaning for you? even if you do thats an incredible amount of plastering. What were you plastering when you wipped off 160 metres in one day?

Finding it hard not to be sceptical....

3. sooperman

sooperman New Member

if u were a master plasterer ud no that u can speed the setting time u dont have to go and wait all day to set it up. as for the 160 metres yes we had laborers feeding us and washing all we were doing is putting it on a wall over hard wall its not as hard as u think. ps no ceilings. also did u no amateurs that u can float skim an irish guy taught me.

4. sooperman

sooperman New Member

dirty water on the second coat half clean part dirty only on board though come on guys dont none of u know **** all?

5. sooperman

sooperman New Member

the secret to plastering is to get the mis right once the mis is right and then u put it on properly ie not much troweling up ud be amazed how much u can put on. as for all this talk about wat british gypsum reccomend any plasterer worth there wait in gold wil tell u u can speed up setting times and slow them down. ie if im on a plod and am just taking my time a good way to take water outta a mix and get supreme flat walls is to float em with a float skim will always pick up on a flat dry surface. so try that and get me back ull see the difference i personally never put less than 3 walls at a time and the reveals.

6. layiton

layiton New Member

Easy sooperman, stop biting! I noticed when you were on about the 160m you said "yes we had labourers" so i take it there was more than one who done the 160m? So that makes more sense! Also can you explain the float/skim method,as we're from differant parts of the country we might use differant terms for certain methods. Just curious and always open to differant views, cheers!

7. nearnwales

nearnwales Member

float means sand and cement,

skimming over hardwall the suction will be great so you can do more in a day

8. layiton

layiton New Member

hi nearnwales, i know what float and skim is but just the way sooperman worded his post "float em with a float skim" made me think he was doing something different. Also what does "mis" mean?

9. Boxer Red

Boxer Red New Member

I read mis as mixture. made sense.
    BR

10. jobsagooden

jobsagooden New Member

Sponge float is very useful when you are learning, it can take plaster from the hills to the valleys and slow the plaster down. 1000 times better than putting pva in water.

11. Hey d.j. comeeeeeee innnnnn deeeeee jaaaaaaa.....We have a right monkey here blowing up his own arrrse about doing 160 a day! O but there was more than one of us!.... And we had labourers!!! Derrrr hardly breaking any records are we.
    130 sq mtrs _ stairwells _ 2+1_ working around and on scaffold -poor day really- Must do better.

12. dj.

dj. New Member

aye, 10 bags a day but four of em down his front and on the floor.
    he should change his name to "slat it on and bother none

13. sooperman

sooperman New Member

sorry layiton mis was meant to be mix my finger just slipped. anyway getting back to what i just said ablout floating skim. you can float actual skim witha float. after putting on your first coat when it starts to go off apply a float it must be smooth thogh ie an old float with no grp on it and youll see the difference ive been doing it for yrs an old boy showed me, in fact thats how it used to be done in the olden days when the english were the best in the world. no wonder we gotta get the **** in we turned into slapiton harrys. oh and to tie up the pva thing just a drop when your trowelling up i personally wet my trowel not the wall. then a final dry cross trowel with the 18 inch youll ee the difference youd think the wal were painted pink. so come on england lets start showing the world this countries not just britain but great britain.

[Edited by: forum admin]

14. sooperman

sooperman New Member

sorry to be long winded but i just want to clear up 1 thing as regarda to plastering tips. you can be the quickest neatest spread in the world but it will amount to nothing if you you dont set yourself up properly. ie for instance alot of the lads out there dont want to spend money ive seen guys on jobs with hand plungers £10 drills and they expect there gonna make it. youve got to invest to be successfull. me for instance as i said i have labourers a good labourer pays for it self and more as the money comes from volume. about 8yrs ago i started to do ceilings of stlts and it was the best 100ner spent its so easy lads. but alot of the guys want to just get money and therefore charge extortionate pricing for average work and there not even quick. i personally wouldnt employ some1 if they cant do 80m2 a day on board. also i went out nad bought al my own trestles and boards many moons ago and the difference is amazing you have to invest lads ive seen £1 buckets wickes trowels £land brushes if you have pride in your work youl have pride in your tools. i personally buy a new drill every 4 yrs and at the moment im using a bosch grw 11e great investment, also change my buckets once every 18 months also buy heavy duty lads they may cost £2.50 but the wont crack like the pound ones. also always have 2 set of tools you never know what might happen especially with all these site thiefs around. so i response to the question on plastering tips invest mate take your time speed comes with experience and always push your boundaries, i always put on 2 ceilings at 1nce thats one of the benefits of working of stlts and having a labourer and you also open up all the walls in both rooms. and remember the glden rule my tutor allways told me. you cant work with wet plaster. god luck lads,

15. layiton

layiton New Member

a few months back i ordered some tilts(marshalltown skywalkers) set them up and tryed to use them,could i **** get away with them,i couldnt walk with out pressing hands against the ceiling.God knows how i would have tryed to hold handboard and trowell and actually start spreading!! Do you have to use a higher spot board stand? Suppose practice makes perfect!

16. plastererboy

plastererboy New Member

Hi, Bought a pair of stilts meself abt 3 years ago, took a while to get used to em! Needs lots of fine tuning and adjustments to get them comfortable and tensioned to the way you walk! First time I put em on I went straight over! Lol! Spent quite a bit of time walking abt in em in my house much to my missus's annoyance but finally mastered them and they sure do make the job quicker in terms of setting up trestles or milk crates and scaff boards, but mind you only use them in rooms with a even floor no steps etc! Need a labourer with you when working in em and two hawks so that labourer loads up the hawks when you need em! I personally only use em when i m doing big ceilings etc. Also had to work out the hard way that its best to only walk forward or sideways when working not backwards..
    Each plasterer to their own really!
    Cheers

17. sooperman

sooperman New Member

shut the hell up robbo. look mate all isaid was its not as hard as you think and i said it was me that laid all that a day i emplay labourers mat coz i aint tight like some of those ******* out there. anyway bet you use a hand plunger or a power devil. lol.

18. No I use a Moulinex cake whisk

19. scorchwork

scorchwork New Member

well i cant beleive the bitchiness on this site, all good fun girls ,all good fun ,any way please feel free to bite my head off , but when you say about yousing a float ? whats the defenition of that ?

20. scorchwork

scorchwork New Member

no ,no dont reply ,i see its all ready stated, . . . . i have plasterd my mums wall with this crapy d.i.y stuff {the sun light does not come into the room,think i should have don it at night with the ceiline rose on !!? ) anyway . . it looks terreble im ashamed and hurting inside i cant let any one see it,ive tryed hand sanding it FOR HOURS & HOURS,then i got an abrassive spindle pad for my drill ,wich was fun whilst getting the hang of it,THINKING ive solved it until the sun light caught it ( i need a hair transplant )so ive just decided im going to go over the top again with some thistle finish, hence why im here getting advice ,its undeniable that all you plasterers know your stuff BUT WHY after ready through all of these tips do i find my self quite confused, its cleer to me that your all so complacent whith your work you miss bits out in your information,skipping from stage to stage and im not shure what part of the wall were still talking about,sorry for being a dick but ive got my own trade and i do it myself, TONE DOWN THE EGO's MA BRUDERS