plastering trowel how do i make i t"worn in" on edges

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by questuk, Sep 14, 2006.

1. questuk

questuk Member

Hi

Keen DIYer, have a float that i use, but the corners always leave a mark in the plaster wall finish.

Do i need to slight remove edge from corners of trowel? if so how much in size?

Regards

Gary

2. kiddo

kiddo New Member

JUst file a small rad on the corners of the trowel..(about 5mm)

3. nearnwales

nearnwales Member

Float or Trowel ? The two arn't the same.

With a trowel you can buy them part worn in. But if yours isn't you could round the edges on some concrete . And angle the trowel and run it up and down ,but wet the concrete first thou

4. Cornish Crofter

Cornish Crofter Active Member

Use it for rendering first.

That'll get the corners rounded off for you.

5. andrew manix

andrew manix New Member

You can buy a finishing trowel that is worn-in to a certain degree, it will work o.k. from the off and get better as you use it, it will cost you though about £45.

6. Puffer

Puffer Member

Nearnwales says that a float is not the same as a trowel. I'm sure he's right but the distinction seems to be largely ignored when such tools are being described by different manufacturers.

Am I right to think that the theoretical difference is that a trowel is used to apply the plaster/mortar but a float is used later to finish/polish the surface? If so, surely it is not too important for the applying tool to have worn-in edges, only the finishing tool - so why does nearnwales say that the trowel (rather than float) should be worn-in. Confusing?

(I realise that, in practice, one often uses the same tool to do both jobs!)

7. nearnwales

nearnwales Member

the difference between a trowel and a float it huge.

A float is to rub a wall up after you floated it. eg the one with the nails in to make a key for the skim.

It's called a float because the old floats where wooden and to make them not stick to the render you had to put them in water to soak , hence the name .

So Puffer your wrong a trowel is for applying and finishing a wall in all areas. And a float now plastic is for preparing a rendered wall for skim, or smooth finish render eg rubbed up.Also for floors

8. Puffer

Puffer Member

Interesting, nearnwales, particularly how a float got its name. But I'm not completely wrong because, as you say, a float is indeed used to 'finish' a wall/floor surface, albeit to give a rough surface.

Look at http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/cat.jsp?cId=A335512&ts=23901 - the last seven items are described as 'floats' but (by your reckoning) only the first of them is a true float to give a rough surface as the others are intended to give a smooth surface. There doesn't seem to be any standardisation of terminology and I don't think it really matters - the workmanship and result is the important issue.

9. nearnwales

nearnwales Member

we are getting confused here, you can't lay skim on with a float and you can't rub a wall up with a trowel completely different tools.

10. Puffer

Puffer Member

Indeed we are. So, what are the last six tools (called 'floats') on the SF page used for? If for putting on skim then you would call them 'trowels', but if for rubbing-up a wall to give a <u>rough</u> finish (which you say is the job of a float), then why are they all shiny slippery steel?

I'm not trying to find fault with you, nearnwales, merely trying to discover whether the terminology used by others is wrong, and why!

11. nearnwales

nearnwales Member

I couldn't tell you why I've always been told a trowel is for troweling and a float is for floating and that the two are different

12. Puffer

Puffer Member

OK nearnwales, but do you agree that the six tools I identified as listed by Screwfix as 'floats' should properly be called 'trowels'? (And, if you don't know why the makers misname them, perhaps someone else does.)

13. nearnwales

nearnwales Member

perhaps Puffer someone can shed some light on it. and by my way they should be called trowels

14. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

The way I see it is, that a float for rubbing up/roughing up, is the one with the wrong name. It doesn't float.

A trowel is used for trowelling, that is picking up, laying on and spreading.

A float is used after trowelling, with water, to 'float' over(on water) to level and smooth.

Notice that floats(the metal ones) are normally dipped(to prevent digging in)and some have rounded(slightly) corners.

And the probability that trowels are liked to be 'worn in' is so they don't leave marks in the plaster which are subsequently more difficult to float later.

A scar in the plaster from the corner of a trowel not only has a trough, but also a ridge. If this dries, it can keep your float from running flat to the main plaster level.

Mr. HandyAndy - really

15. Puffer

Puffer Member

We're now starting to go round in circles - some measure of agreement reached but it ain't complete! Is this a fair summary:

1. We all agree that a metal trowel is used to lay on and spread out plaster. Best if it has a worn-in edge but not essential.

2. If plaster needs to be roughed-up (key for next coat or to give 'textured' finish), a wooden or plastic float is used, with water.

3. If plaster is to be given a smooth finish, a metal float is used, with water. This should have a worn-in edge and slightly rounded-off corners to stop digging-in.

4. The metal trowel (1) and metal float (3) are of very similar construction and appearance and may in practice be one and the same tool (although a true professional plasterer would generally use different tools for the two tasks).

Any advance on that?

16. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

I thought that was what I said ???????

Mr. HandyAndy - really

17. Puffer

Puffer Member

Yes, HA, it was more or less what you just said and as I previously suggested - but nearnwales did not seem to accept that a float could be used for anything but roughing up, and was traditionally wood. If he can accept that a float may be wood for roughing or metal for smoothing, then all three of us are talking the same language. If he can't accept this (and he may be right not to), then the puzzle remains that some manufacturers are misnaming their tools.

18. gardm1nt

gardm1nt New Member

I have, A laying on trowel, a finishing trowel, a wooden float and a couple of cement trowels for screeding.

My laying on and finishing trowels are similar except the finishing trowel is never used on render once broke in.

I usually break in my finishing trowel with a month or two on render and scratch coats. I then give it a polishing with wet and dry paper... the perfect finishing trowel.

The wooden float is only used for roughing up and some concrete work.

The cement trowels for concrete and screed.

19. Puffer

Puffer Member

So, gardm1nt, you finish with what you call a 'trowel' if it's a metal tool for a smooth surface and with a 'float; if its a wooden tool to give a rough surface. In other words, the metal tool is always called a 'trowel' - correct? And the makers of metal tools who call them 'floats' are wrong, even though used to finish off with water to give a smooth surface?

20. yorkshireboy

yorkshireboy Member

This is getting very complicated.
    Until looking at the list in screwfix I agreed with nearnwales and think they may be listing them wrongly.
    I always thought a float was wood or rigid metal used for flattening out the basecoat to get rid of any bumps.A finishing trowel is made of a thinner more flexible steel.
    I have seen the marshaltown (floats) listed as trowels elswhere.