Plastic push-fit vs copper for water softener

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by AI001, Aug 31, 2015.

1. AI001

AI001 New Member

First post, please go easy on me. I am a new diyer, never done plumbing job before, will need to start one day why not now. I live in a hard water area (360ppm) so I need to install a water softener. I see my water supply is on 15mm copper pipe. I was wondering if I can use JG Pushfit connectors to make water softener installation easy however I have heard plastic tubing with push fit insert reduces bore a lot compared to copper. This may not be a big issue on a single connection like tap or bath but in this case it will be restricting flow at the source.

What do you guys say from your experience. Also all property on 15mm pipe? Isn't it too small, I was expecting 22mm at the entry point.

[​IMG]

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Nothing wrong with JG Speedfit,fittings can be demounted, easy to work with, just make sure the copper is burr free otherwise you'll damage the seals in the Speedfit fittings.
    Great thing with plastic it's scale free, as to reducing bore, it is of little significance since the total length of reduced bore pipe is about 20mm per insert.

http://www.johnguest.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Z2105-19-0115-Unpriced.pdf

One point though if you flexi tap hose connectors, use full bore versions.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
    AI001 likes this.
  3. AI001

AI001 New Member

Softener side is 22mm screw fit connector which fits this braided hose tap connector. It has 13mm bore throughout, Can I use this flexible part and rest pushfits?

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

You will get your knuckles rapped, putting up a competitors catalogue.:D

You can get full bore version, which has about a 18.2mm bore.

Got a link for the softener, also you should have one tap supplying a unsoften water.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
  5. AI001

AI001 New Member

Well I meant this hose ;) can't edit the my post above. This is the softener.

6. AI001

AI001 New Member

Can use this pushfit connector instead. Not to fuss with braided hoses. Unsure what is bore.

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Most likely.

8. AI001

AI001 New Member

I had a thought over this again and I am not happy with internal bore of plastic pipes, 15mm pipes are appx 9mm internal bore which I think will cause problem in my installation. I wonder if copper pushfit are going to be any better? Any thoughts?