Playhouse/summerhouse help

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by Little_PC, May 7, 2017.

1. Little_PC

Little_PC New Member

Hi all,

I am currently designing a summer project for my kids but have little experience with woodwork. It is going to be a raised playhouse (l shaped) but I am leaving it as freestanding due to building regs. Floor will be approx 1m off the floor and finished height will be 2.5m tall.

Hopefully someone can help with some of my questions.

1/ What is the best wood to use for the framework? Type and size? (This is my biggest concern as I want to make sure it can withstand all weather and activity)

2/ Does the above need to be treated after finishing construction?

3/ It is going to be a bit of a see where it goes Design but if anyone has any recommendations before starting would be great help.

I am hoping to keep the costs as low as possible but I'm fully aware they are probably going to spiral out of control.

Thanks in advance for anyone's help.

Little_PC

2. BMC2000

BMC2000 Screwfix Select

Go visit a manufacturer of these things and take a few notes.

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Look on Pintrest for ideas.

You need to use a treated timber, & I would get it an additional coat of preservative.

4. ash moore

ash moore New Member

I make play equipment, I use PAR larch, it doesn't require treating for usual British weather and as it's PAR no splinters/sharp corners.

If I were you I'd spend more time making accurate drawings and work out any problems on paper, less mistakes less waste.

When you come to building; round over all exposed cut edges countersink call screws/bolts, looks tidy and is safe. Have fun!

Doall likes this.