Please can you help me - what is this fixing?

Discussion in 'Screwfix' started by KEG, May 22, 2014.

1. KEG

KEG New Member

image (800x600).jpg I'm trying to replace a clip from the frame of a gas lift bed - I've not been able to find it by looking on the Screwfix site but to be honest I'm not sure what it's called! I've already taken it into my local hardware store and B&Q and no-one there has been able to help.
    Photo attached - pen included for scale! If anyone can help me name this item and even better tell me where I can get a new one I would be most grateful.
    Thanks in advance!

2. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

it's a circlip

3. It looks to be a fairly sturdy one too - quite thick?

Does this clip come under direct load where it's used? Or is it simply on the end of a pivot pin to basically stop that pin from falling out (ie: not under a direct load)?

If the former, I think you should go straight to the manufacturers for a replacement; if the latter, try eBay!

Not sure how circlip sizes are measured - I suspect it's by the diameter round bar that fits snugly ('interference' - touching the edges of the three sticky-in bits) in t'middle.

This circlip might be a 'critical' part, or not so much - where does it go? Photo?

4. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

It's an E-clip, Which used to be made by Anderton Circlips if my memory serves me right, but I suspect the patent has run out & are now made in China :(. DA is correct as they are sized by the diameter of the shaft that they fit. You could try RS Components, but would probably have to buy 100. If you can come up with a good story, you can often bum a sample from the manufacturer. It's worth a Google. ;)