Please Help New concrete garage leaking :(

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by ciganoboxer, Jun 9, 2017.

1. ciganoboxer

ciganoboxer New Member

Hello guys need some advice,I just recent bought a new sectional 21x13 concrete building/garage to use as an office from L&M concrete Garages, anyway i got the electric put in and plastered it out etc
    I didn't want to build one has i needed it pretty quick so this seemed a better option etc
    As you know we had this non stop heavy rain lately,we started noticing water has seeped through from between the concrete base and the concrete building that obviously sits on top of the base(picture below)
    I have spoke to the manufacturer and told him my concerns as this wasn't a cheap building and that i had to cancel my tiler from putting a floor and underfloor heating in it because of this moisture needing sorting .
    The guy from the L&M concrete Garages said they were coming out Saturday morning to put down a bitumen sealer !? will this be enough an what other options are there ?
    I read someplace that the only way to stop this is by raising the floor and screeding it ?
    I am not a tradesmen by trade so any advise/knowledge would be appreciated before the guy from L&M comes out,thanks Garry .
    19073052_10155364596593850_802322660_o.jpg

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Got a outside photo showing base of wall otherside,can advise better then, but one solution is a angled fillet of waterproof mortar running along base of wall, this fillet can also be painted with a bitumen sealer.

See rough sketch below, but you also need a way to get rid of the water to a drain,gully, rather than it pooling on concrete base.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 9, 2017
    BMC2000 likes this.
  3. ciganoboxer

ciganoboxer New Member

This is the outside .

Attached Files:

4. candoabitofmoststuff

candoabitofmoststuff Screwfix Select

I don't know if it will be an issue for the floor tiling as it is... but presumeably there is no damp proof membrane there either. I suspect there will need to be one before tiling. I'm only DIY so this should be checked further.

Also, if the supplier knew the intended use of this was as an office, not just a "car shed", it's possible they may have not advised you correctly when making the purchase, with regard to a suitable base, so you may have some comeback there. Again, you'll need to get proper advise on that!

I hope it all works out OK for you.

Regards,

Cando

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Thanks, I would first put a bead of sealant there first along the edges,Everbuild Silcone 825 from the competitor would be my choice, then go over that with a waterproof angled fillet of mortar.

Also I wouldn't have taken the plaster down to the concrete base, but kept it short by up to 25mm, could then put another bead of Everbuild Silcone 825 the base.

ciganoboxer likes this.
  6. BMC2000

BMC2000 Screwfix Select

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

ciganoboxer likes this.
  8. ciganoboxer

ciganoboxer New Member

thanks for all your responses guys , i am gonna put these to him when he comes out, i read the same on other forums that with these types of ready built buildings the only way to stop it was to seal it and screed it , don't want him thinking he can come out and but some of bitumen sealer down and thats it like .
    Anyone know whats bitumen sealer he might be on about ?

9. It all looks a bit rough and ready as none of the panels have been aligned correctly.
    Do they not use some sort of compressable gasket to seal between the slab and the panels.

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Usually a sealant is used when joining panels together.

11. None of the panels have been aligned correctly,but I was talking about a compressable gasket not between panels.
    But between the panels and the floor.

12. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Rough and ready indeed, what's going on with the corner not having a brick Patten on it, as for lining up the panels I've seen brick walls rougher,:p:p:p but yes it looks bad.

ciganoboxer likes this.
  13. ciganoboxer

ciganoboxer New Member

i thought thats how most of these prefabs brick patterned looked !? every one i have looked at the brick effect don't really line up like that but the actual panel does if that makes sense ?.
    They did use a compressible gasket to seal between the slab and the panels ,its like this grey sticky stuff that stays flexible .

14. ciganoboxer

ciganoboxer New Member

don't give a **** about that ,i just want the **** to stop the **** leaking or he will be leaking lol

15. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Didn't think they still used the grey sticky stuff, that was being used nearly 25 years ago, last two garages earlier this year seen erected they used a sealant in a tube.

16. ciganoboxer

ciganoboxer New Member

this was from a tube ?

17. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Thought you were refering to the rolls of grey sticky sealant for sealing panels.

18. ciganoboxer

ciganoboxer New Member

thats it they was from a tube ?

19. Addrian

Addrian Member

Have a garage similar to yours. Same style of concrete panel. 70's build so Harled not a nice brick pattern...but there is a fillet on the inside and out. Mine is leaking a little bit, but only where the fillet has cracked. Whatever gasket or join between the wall slabs is cracking in places and will be replaced at some point.

IMVHO that should sort it out as others have said. No bell cast on mine, they rendered down to the fillet but like I say it's mostly dry.

Asbestos roof needs changing tho ;-)

Best of luck.

20. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Ignore the bell cast in the sketch, should have made that clearer in my ealier post:oops:, was just trying to make clear about the cement fillet & it's location & purpose.