Please help! Wall hung toilet / flexible flush pipe connector?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by CC81, Feb 5, 2016.

1. CC81

CC81 New Member

Advice would be very much appreciated.

We already have a flexible waste pipe for our toilet, but can you also get flexible connections for the flush pipe, if needed? We may need to replace our toilet pan.

We have a tiled-in concealed cistern and a floating toilet pan (wall-hung). The concealed cistern and wall frame behind the tiles are fine... but we may need to replace the pan, because it's almost impossible to reach the nuts that secure it to the wall frame - so they can't be fully tightened. Over time it moves a bit and we get a slow leak from the waste pipe as a result.

However, our current pan is very close to the floor and I'm concerned that the inlet on a new pan wouldn't quite line up with the concealed flush pipe, which is at a fixed height and we couldn't change this without removing tiles (which obviously we're extremely keen to avoid). Our current pan is only 355mm tall (the u-bend 'floats' about 25mm above the floor), whereas most floating or wall-hung pans seem to be at least 400mm tall. So a flexible flush pipe connection may be needed to solve this problem.

Our wall frame is like this (made by Wirquin):
    https://victoriaplum.com/product/universal-wall-hung-frame-inc-push-button-cistern-wmf3

And our floating pan is like this:
    https://victoriaplum.com/product/arc-wall-hung-toilet-inc-seat-wharc

So you can see how the fixings would be difficult to reach (you have to lie on the floor and put your hand right up inside). Even just removing it to replace it may be problematic. It's a silly design and I wish we hadn't chosen it! But we have to move on and concentrate on a solution, so I'd be very grateful for any advice :)

2. Mike101

Mike101 New Member

I've had multiple issues with my concealed cistern behind a tiled wall.
    My bathroom looked so nice I didn't want to remove WC but eventually I came to the conclusion that removing the tiled wall and installing a standard WC was for the best, I'm so glad I did! The flexible connector leaked when I swapped WC so I had to replace that, so even if your pan was at the correct level you might find the connector is no longer watertight.
    I would never choose to install a similar system in my bathroom after this.
    Sorry this isn't a solution to your problem but it was solution I went with after a lot of deliberation! (months of flushing with a bucket as I was so reluctant!!)

3. CC81

CC81 New Member

Thanks Mike - I feel your pain!

But what's frustrating is that the cistern itself is FINE... no issues at all.

It's purely the pan design that's driving me mad as the space inside is too confined to properly tighten the nuts. That's the only thing creating a problem with the waste leak (which would happen on any pan with a bit of movement - regardless of the wall-hung aspect.

4. Mike101

Mike101 New Member

Ideally would you just tighten the pan you already have?

A ratchet spanner might do that, you can probably buy them individually elsewhere.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
  5. CC81

CC81 New Member

Ideally, yes, as we think it must be the slight movement causing the tiny waste leak. It was dry for several hours after fitting, then moved a tiny bit and hey - there's the leak. The movement is barely perceptible so I may silicone around the pan (to the tiled wall) to make it more secure. But not sure if we can now fix the waste without taking off the pan... in which case we might-as-well get one that's less troublesome. IF we can get a new pan that fits. Which brings me to my question about a flexible flush pipe connector...

6. Mike101

Mike101 New Member

Once the leak is sorted I would seal it to the tiles for cleanliness if nothing else (although it will give it slightly more rigidity).

Did you see the link to the ratchet spanner?

Whats your flexible connector question? I can give you another vague answer.

7. CC81

CC81 New Member

Thanks Mike - but unfortunately a ratchet spanner didn't work as we can't see what we're doing! It's feel only - and there's no room to turn a tool (fingertips will only JUST reach).

The flexible connector is my main query above, but I'll repeat it here for speed:

We already have a flexible waste pipe for our toilet, but can you also get flexible connections for the flush pipe, if needed? I'm concerned that the inlet on a new pan wouldn't quite line up with the concealed flush pipe, which is at a fixed height and we couldn't change this without removing tiles (which obviously we're extremely keen to avoid). Our current pan is only 355mm tall (the u-bend 'floats' about 25mm above the floor), whereas most floating or wall-hung pans seem to be at least 400mm tall. So a flexible flush pipe connection may be needed to solve this problem.

See the flush pipe here (only the actual outlet is accessible - the frame is now tiled in):
    https://victoriaplum.com/product/universal-wall-hung-frame-inc-push-button-cistern-wmf3