Please help with cause of this mysterious leak!

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by lee will, Nov 30, 2015.

?

what could be?

1. balcony blockage

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. cavity wall defect

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. lee will

lee will New Member

We moved in this flat last Sep, since we moved in, we noticed that every time it rains heavily, the carpet in one the bedrooms near the window is wet. (The flat has no condensation issue at all.)

We called the building management, they arranged a contractor come to fix it. They lifted all the floors on the balcony outside that window. They said there was no blockage under the balcony floor.They eliminated the possibility that the water is from above, because the wall is completely dry. It is just the water coming through the skirting board near that window. They tried to put filler on top and under the window. They put weather board under the window. But the water still came in.

Lately, it has been heavy rain here almost everyday, the problem got worse to worse. The contractors has visited the flat 5 times, they still could not identify the issue. It is very frustrating :(, can anyone help?

thanks

Attached Files:

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

There is usually a balconey cavity tray fitted uder that doorway, other ways I've seen it sealed is tanked with glassfibre over the aream then decking laid on top.

Tray is similar to one below.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
  3. lee will

lee will New Member

thanks for reply. so you think it is the cavity tray need to be sealed again?

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Might not even have one.

This is what I mean by tanking with fibreglass, then you can laid your decking on top.
    [​IMG]

5. lee will

lee will New Member

the balcony is a long strip, it is outside " living room , bedroom 1 and bedroom 2". the water used to only come through bedroom 1. now, there is a small amount came though bedroom 2 as well. so you suggest the contractor to check if there is a cavity tray first?

6. lee will

lee will New Member

if there is no cavity tray, what can they do ?

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

You cannot not fit cavity tray, now the place has been built, the only solution is tanking the balcony I would say.

And glassfibre is better than any paint on waterproofer in a tin, it's seamless, so no leaky joins.

Explorer Court Plymouth had glassfibre laid, then timber decking to finish.

http://polyroof.co.uk/explorer-court-plymouth/

8. lee will

lee will New Member

Thank you , I will speak to the contractor during his next visit, and keep you updated!

9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

One other question, the decking us it loose lay panel(s) or fixed down, if fixed are there bearers it sits on.
    Is there any fall on the decking, & how does balcony drain?

10. lee will

lee will New Member

the contractor is here now. they lifted all the decks. and poured lots of water down. however, no leak appeared.

I will add some photos to the post.

Attached Files:

11. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

I assume there is someone above you with a similar layout?

I would be tempted to open up a hole on the inside above floor level, it may be coming down the cavity and stopping at yours, if the wall is wet above floor level, then they need to investigate further up.

Also as a minor point
    Is that guy actually on the outside on the ledge without a harness, and did they pile all the decking on the outside too, ready to fall on some unsuspecting passer by happily drinking their Christmas Costa

12. It's every bit as likely that the water is coming from above - coming in either around the roof, or the window. It can then travel where it bludy well wants to - water don't listen to no-one 'cept itsel'.

Why it's coming in only at floor level I cannot say - perhaps it's hitting a ridge, gap or seam there. But - although it may seem the obvious place to look - a puddle at floor level does not mean it's coming in at floor level.

I would suggest that they remove that interior window cill and have a gander down there...

(What's that bubbly stuff that's on the patio door cill? It looks hellish...)

13. lee will

lee will New Member

the floors above doesn't have similar balcony structure. they only have a metal frame hanging outside the building.

I know,but what can I say?:mad:

14. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

would still check the wall above floor level, might be the answer you need!

15. lee will

lee will New Member

attached photos for drains, balcony floor above and my balcony current situation.

spoke to the contractor, he also think it could be the cavity wall, but he has to tank the balcony first, if water still leaks through, then it is the cavity wall.

Attached Files:

16. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Looking at photo's I am confused, 1st photo is this a end wall,why is is open, not blocked up, all that timber frame work needs to be removed & the area tanked.

How is he going to tank this, from photo, glass fibre tanking is the only solution in my opinion, far better than any bitumen tanking, as long the glass fibre are continued up further up the sides than the bedroom floor level & the finished decking, it will solve the problem.

17. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Ideally the tanking need to finish above the laid decking a minimum of 150mm,even 200mm so it is above the finish floor level in the bedroom, this would prevent any water from the decking working it's way into the bedroom by volume of water during a heavy storm or by capillary action.

18. lee will

lee will New Member

uploaded 2 photos.

one is to show where the flat is. my flat is the left hand bottom flat.

second photo is how the balcony is "tanked".

he said if there is more water leak. then it is not the balcony. he didn't feel the "balcony tank" would solve the problem, but just had to try.:(

Attached Files:

19. kiaora

kiaora Guest

Hi
    I see in your first pictures, one of the patio door cill,

Is that some sort of bubble wrap stuck to the sill?

My view is to investigate the cill detail.

Normally that part of the cill must be clear, and certainly not sealed in any way.

The gap at the bottom of door/and top of cill it to let water out.!
    Like in effect weep holes

Check it out!

Regards
    Peter