Please recommend / advise on externall wall filler

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Theleman, Oct 20, 2016.

1. Theleman

Theleman Active Member

HI All

I have painted the outside windows wooden frames of the house. Now I am planning to put masonry paint around the wooden frame and also on the window base (ledge?).

I looked around the window frames closely, and the seals surrounding the frames and the wall has cracks.
    20161020_165819.jpg
    20161020_165825.jpg
    My questions are,

1. Would it be better to put new filler between the frames and walls first before applying masonry paint, or is it better to put the masonry paint first and then put the filler in?

2. What type of filler would be best for this use?

Thanks in advance.

2. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

How thick are the strips needing filler?

Maybe better to rake it out and use frame sealant?

3. Theleman

Theleman Active Member

About 1 cm.

4. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

I would rake it out and use frame sealant myself

KIAB likes this.
  5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Agree.

koolpc likes this.
  6. Theleman

Theleman Active Member

Before masonry paint or after?

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Do all repairs & sealant before painting.

8. Hi Theleman.

Since that loose concrete fillet needs to come out anyways, can you do that first and then post a photo of what the actual gap is like, so's we can see into which material it mostly goes - the wooden window frame or the concrete cill?

And before any filling, I'd soak any visible timber behind that fillet with timber rot treatment. Water has almost certainly been directed in to that gap by the loose fillet over some time, so I'd like to be confident any rot's been killed dead...

You can buy water-based timber treatment which is pretty cheap, so you could afford to give it a darned good soaking in there. They claim it is effective on already-damp timber too, tho' clearly it would be best if it was first allowed to dry out - and then soak it.

There are solvent-based alternatives too.

9. Theleman

Theleman Active Member

Will do. Thank you all for the great advice.