Plumber let us down **Remove outside tap**

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Clooki, Nov 8, 2015.

1. Clooki

Clooki New Member

Hi all, I'm having a nightmare, we have builders in tomorrow morning to start extension/renovation & need the outside tap removed. We have a plumber that was meant to come Friday & then today but hasn't turnt up & now at a loss as need it done for tomorrow morning.. Can we do it ourself, how easy is it? Thx

Dandannas likes this.
  2. Your builders are competent enough to construct an extension but can't remove a tap?

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

4. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

May be even easier if the outside tap was fitted with an isolation valve :) ?

A smile and a cuppa for your builder with some friendly chat and he will sort out this "minor" problem for you in minutes
    Sounds like a large project going on so spending a few ££ I guess, would really expect no charge for this tiny inconvenience (certainly no nightmare in the grand scheme of things)

5. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Any builder should be able to do this as mentioned. It may be to your advantage anyway as I'm sure they'll need access to water, so they can lash up something temporary to stop them traipsing into the kitchen throughout the day. :)

6. Phil Hyde

Phil Hyde Active Member

Why does it need removing unless it's exactly where your new wall is going? If it's just because it's inside your new building I'd leave it till they have finished the job. Save muddy foot prints in the house ☺

7. Chances are - as Phil says - it won't akshully be in the way for a goodly way into the project, so yer plumbie will have turned up by then.

And if he hasn't, don't let him.

(Don't the builders have their own plumber anyways?)

8. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

As everyone says, if they can't sort the tap out - I wouldn't let them anywhere near the extension.

9. Dandannas

Dandannas New Member

If the builders can't work around the tape the easiest way is to isolated the water and check after wards if its off. Then cut the pipe and soften the edge. then use a plastic push fit stop cock on the end of the cut copper. Then turn the water back on check for leaks. if leaks so occur I suggested putting some PTFE tape around the end and the plastic end and then checking for leaks again. Just a quick way to solve the problem

10. DNR Plumbing

DNR Plumbing Active Member

Do not just cut the pipe and cap it this is against Water regulations as you will be leaving a dead leg of pipe containing water that won't ever flow so will stagnate and can poison your water supply

11. JOMEL

JOMEL Screwfix Select

Hi,

I just knew there was going to be some regulation or certificate requirement for this.

Johnny

12. DNR Plumbing

Yeah it's only a very small part of water regs but dead legs (unused pipework) must be removed not just capped where you feel like it you can say remove the "T" where is coupled in repair the main and then leave the dead leg empty but fully disconnected but if you do I would always advise to drain it fully

13. diy_nixy

diy_nixy Active Member

This explanation would be more useful if there was some full-stops in the sentence?

14. Glad its Friday

Glad its Friday Active Member

:) - got to keep the standards up on the forum!

But DNR is not completely correct, a dead leg is allowed where it is not practical to remove it, provided it is not more than 2 pipe diameters long. Ideally, yes cut them out but when it is buried underneath the floor, who is going to check and find out?.

DNR Plumbing likes this.
  15. DNR Plumbing

Thanks Friday, I did check the regs and what you say is correct but always best to remove it all so thought that was the best advice to provide.