Plumbing Courses that cost money! are they worth it???

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Fire_man_sam182, Jul 4, 2006.

1. On the subject of training - There were a couple of plumbing jobs in the paper this week (unusual), one asking for ACS qualified heating engineers.
    Excuse my ignorance but what does ACS stand for/entail.

2. PDPS

PDPS New Member

If you plan to do day-release or evening classes at a construction college you need to be enrolling now for courses starting in 2007 or even 2008.

That's the big advantage of the short courses. Start when you want. Finish when you're ready.

3. gardm1nt

gardm1nt New Member

Thanks for the offer, I am off on holiday for 2 weeks then got two kitchen fits folowed by a delayed pub refurb job so not a lot of help Im afraid. There must be a company local to you.

4. Simon J

Simon J New Member

I think ACS stands for Authorised certification Scheme, or something like that.

5. Isn't it "Accredited Certification Scheme".

Tony

6. Simon J

Simon J New Member

Your right Tony! It's 'Accredited not Authorised.

7. sandy man

sandy man New Member

Thanks Simon J and Fire man sam.
    Ineresting topic for me.
    Simon J yes you have encouraged me to rethink I like you would like to move up the qualification ladder. Difficult when you 30 years past appreniceship age, do like a challenge though.
    Fire man sam it sounds do able so keep at it.
    thanks
    SM

8. Ian Marsh

Ian Marsh New Member

Hi all just new to this site.
    I also have a question

I am thinking about doing the Diploma in Plumbing level 2 at night school collage.
    Is this worth the £1208 That they want.
    And will it help me to get qualified.
    I do small jobs for people at the moment. And have had quite a bit of work. Do you all think think will help me.
    Thanks for any help.
    Sorry forgot to put that I am 45 yrs old and an apprenticeship is impossible to get at my age.

9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Plumbing City & Guilds Diploma Level 2

Description

You will learn about the key plumbing principles, above ground drainage and how to plumb in hot and cold water.

What does the course involve?
    The course will focus on a range of basic plumbing theory and practices including:

• Pipe bending and types of jointing
    • Basic maintenance on taps and valves
    • Rainwater systems and maintenance
    • Basin and Wc installation and maintenance.
    • Health and safety
    • Environmental awareness
    • Plumbing principles and practical applications
    • Basic electrical operations
    • Hot and Cold water systems
    • Central Heating systems
    • Drainage systems

You'll learn how to install, test and maintain hot and cold pipework and heating systems. The course will test practical and knowledge-based skills.
    Possible opportunities to progress on to Level 2 NVQ or Level 3 6035 Diploma.:eek:

Entry Requirements
    Four GCSEs D–E grade and an interest within the plumbing industry.

What are the progression options?
    • Completion of the onsite NVQ units 019 and 020 in addition to one further Environmental exam to fulfil the complete Plumbing Diploma.
    • Possible progression on to the Level 3 Plumbing Diploma fulltime or Level 2 Apprenticeship programme.

Seems a lot of cash, for what you most likely already know.

FatHands likes this.
  10. Ian Marsh

Ian Marsh New Member

Hi
    Thanks KIAB
    All input and comment's are very welcome.
    Yes KIAB you are correct.
    Ian

11. JOMEL

JOMEL Screwfix Select

Hi Guys.
    I cant help myself breaking into this chat. I hope its acceptable
    I was a plumber for 15 years 1949 to 1954 then 2 years RAF then 6 more years.
    I started at age 15 years and was to young to start a full appentiship till I was 16 years old.
    I was THE BOY in the work shop or the spare pair of hands on jobs when required.

I started my appentiship one day after my 16th birthday. On £1-10 shillings a week.
    The appentiship lasted 5 years until I was 21 years old.
    It was the days when to find maybe a small gas leak you used your nose or lit a match and checked the joints LOL

I was 21 years old on November 27th 1954. 14 days later I was reporting to an RAF camp for my 2 years National Service.
    I got 1 weeks full pay before I left.. Then back to £0-16 shillings. 80p in todays cash a week.

I got trained as a Radio Op and really enjoyed it. I went back to plumbing for next 6 years and in
    that time with my new training in the RAF got to understanding radio and communications and making electronic stuff.
    Big headed I applied for a hospital job as a tech in a cardiac centre. And got it. £12.00 a week but petrol was 4 gallon for £1.00
    A year later I was approached by the powers that be to join a new Open Heart Cardiac Surgical Unit on the tech side I was there
    for 15 years . I became a Chief Tec and the local expert on Implantable Cardiac pacemakers. Even getting the gloves
    and a mask on at times LOL. After that closed I transferred to a new major hospital a Chief Medical Physics Tech.
    I stayed well out of Theatre's and seeing the sun rise on to many occasions.
    Another 15 years then retired. Been retired 25 years now. Thank god for the NHS superannuation scheme .
    I was still the guy that lots asked about building problems when in the hospitals. Well I had 15 year under my belt.

Sorry if I have rambled on.
    Just in a long way saying we can be what we want to be. Its a matter of looking for the right nitch.
    In later years I took the roof off my Bungalow and added 2 extra bedrooms and a bathroom with Jacuzzi of course.
    And central heating.
    It took me 11 weeks on my own while still working full time.

So you guys looking to earn a crust, don't let anyone put you off, you can do it just have faith in your self.
    But DONT cheek the plumber ok or you may get a blowlamp where its not designed to go.

Am 84 now retired 24 years I now design systems for Data communications to keep my grey matter awake
    Enjoy boys.

Johnny M ...Newcastle.

Jord86 likes this.
  12. JOMEL

JOMEL Screwfix Select

Sirs.
    I am sorry my maybe lengthy comment seemed
    to end this topic of conversation.
    It was meant with the best of intentions.

It wont happen again.

Johnny M

13. Sean Pasifull

Sean Pasifull New Member