Plumbing & heating installation standards

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Bagey, Aug 12, 2017.

1. Bagey

Bagey New Member

I'm currently renovating a house, everything has been stripped out (plaster off all walls and ceilings, good access inc under floating floor). I'm now having the plumbing and heating re-installed. I'm a little concerned by the quality of the work being done, the plumber has punched dozens of small holes in the floorboards (destroying much of the flooring), many of the pipes are hard up against the wood joists (I'm sure these will squeak when the copper expands/contracts), 20mm waste has been used for a saniflo and some of the brazed copper joints look cockled and not cleanly brazed. I want to know if this is normal, what are the key things I should look for to make sure I have trouble free operation for years to come....I want to make sure the job is done properly before I make the final payment. Thanks in advance

2. Crowsfoot

Crowsfoot Screwfix Select

It all sounds a bit rough to me Bagey.
    "Rough" is an old term we used to use for poor quality of work.
    A plumber who knocks holes in the floorboards with a screwdriver rather than use a drill in conjunction with a bit and brace is a bit rough.
    Rough plumbers however do tend to get the job done quickly.

Modern WRAS state that the job "must be done in a workman like manner"
    I would say look for signs of a lack of confidence in your plumber because confidence is the key.

Plumbers are like Doctors really.
    Get a good Doctor and you'll be alright!

3. just pumps

just pumps Screwfix Select

Some models in the Saniflo range can be run in 22mm pipe (21.5 white waste pipe) if it is rigid pipe, others need 32mm. Softer flexi pipe on a roll can lead to problems in time.
    Google Saniflo 10 Golden Rules for more info.