Plumbing washing machine in questions

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by MrMarkyMark, Sep 8, 2017.

1. MrMarkyMark

MrMarkyMark Member

Hi there,

I am planning to move my washing machine to under the stairs and have some questions.

The distance to the outside drain wall will be 10-12 ft and then it will turn for another 6ft to meet the drain. Is this distance ok and what angle should the pipes run at for the waste flow?

How far can a standard Bosch washing machine pump waste water? There is the option to connect the waste hose to a bathroom basin trap, however, this would be after a 10ft flow from the machine and it would need to go up around 2 foot to connect to the trap, would that work?

Lastly, can the cold water feed run from any internal mains cold water pipe?

Hope this makes sense and thanks in advance.

2. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

cold feed can be taken from any point on your internal mains .basin pipework is too small need 1 1/2 inch minimum. the drain you intend to expel waste into must not be a surface water drain , is it ?

3. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

What waste pipe are you intending to use e.g. extend the small bore grey pipe that comes with the washing machine, or use a stand pipe with u-bend and continue in 1.5" pipe? If the latter then distance isn't an issue as long as the pipe has the appropriate gradient and is not blocked.

4. MrMarkyMark

MrMarkyMark Member

Thanks, it's not a surface water drain.

Had planned to use the grey pipe from the machine into stand pipe then 1.5'' pipe to drain. What gradient should I use?

Although, could I just run the small grey pipe with an extension for around 10ft and then go up 2ft into a 40mm appliance waste trap under the bathroom basin? Would that work as it will make things a lot easier.

5. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

basin waste / traps are not 40 mm nor is the waste pipe from them ,they are 32 mm ( 1 1/4 inch ). washing machines waste can join into kitchen sink traps / pipework ,which are 40 mm ( 1 1/2 inch ). a better way is via standpipe /trap and to outside waste , as earlier advised.

6. just pumps

just pumps Screwfix Select

10ft horizontal then 2ft vertical, err no!

7. MrMarkyMark

MrMarkyMark Member

Thanks,

Lastly, is it ok to drill 40mm holes for the waste pipe through the centre of 8x2in floor joists?

8. just pumps

just pumps Screwfix Select

9. MrMarkyMark

MrMarkyMark Member