Plunge saws info

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Hopefulhandyman, Sep 26, 2016.

1. Hopefulhandyman

Hopefulhandyman New Member

As a one time user of a circular saw a few decades ago , used for cutting t&g tongues to install heating etc and fairly terrified of the thing at the time and threw it away when discovered in the shed, rusting away ,I noticed on a Screwfix Tools flyer these new-to-me tools.
    I need to lop off some un-necessary overhang on an old Ikea pine table on both sides to make it less unwieldy, material is about 30mm thick. I have my eye on the £140 Erbauer model, with anti-kick it says etc. but otherwise have no experience on these tools , remembering with a shudder how the old saw would occasionally jump out of a cut !

2. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Just buy a Spear and Jackson 10 teeth per inch second fix handsaw mate, for two cuts on a pine table that you'll have to sand, stain and polish the edges again anyways, a circular saw (especially erbauer, cheap cack) is a total waste of your money, and if the erbauer is cordless, I can guarantee that it won't have the power to make the cuts you require.

3. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Even cheaper - take it to the local timber yard and get them to run it through their table saw. 5 minutes work, clean straight cuts.

4. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

Alarm bells ringing. You sure it's solid? I altered some IKEA units once. The tops were about 30mm thick and turned out to be a complex composite with basically edges and egg box innards. You couldn't tell from the outside. It felt solid.

5. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

It won't be solid.

6. Should be able to tell by the weight if it is solid.You could also drill a couple of holes about an inch deep on the underside of the piece getting cut off, to make sure it is solid.

7. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

It will be built like a cheap interior door.

8. Hopefulhandyman

Hopefulhandyman New Member

No actually it's a super solid 20yr old table, had an extra section stowed under the table (which could be inserted for 2 extra people) now supporting a tumble dryer on spur brackets.
    Bought a cheap Irwin Evo 21" from Screwfix to do the deed ( and save fingers from an unfamiliar power tool )

9. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

handsaw :cool:

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

:eek:

Rarely use a handsaw, either mains or cordless circular, or other powered saw nowadays.

11. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Use a tenon every so often, but your right, mainly powered tools except a Jigsaw - haven't used one in about 2 years

12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Some years ago I bought Bahco Ergo saw, a left handed handle & a selection of blades,poking around the shed yesterday I found still wrapped the blades for the saw, fine,coarse,plaster,etc,never used, have only ever used handsaw & tenon blades.:(

http://www.dm-tools.co.uk/browse.php/section/7227/level/4

13. GoodwithWood

GoodwithWood Active Member

A chippie on one of the sites I was working on had one back last year. I found the handle to be a bit cumbersome. Talking of Bahco the best throw away saw for me was the Sandvik 244 as the blade was a little stiffer than the Jack saws of their time and the handle much nicer with a more positive 45/90 degree. Don't know how much they have changed since Bahco took over as I usually end up with a jack saw for a fiver.

On the table front I'd say get a timber yard or joinery shop to run it through their saw. Or cheapest would be a handsaw and sand it. Other options are Jigsaw and Router. All depends on what tools you have access to and your abilities with said tools.