Plywood subfloor gaps

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Crumbs, Sep 28, 2016.

1. Crumbs

Crumbs Member

Hi, i have completed repairing bowed joists and removing old t&g chipboards then replacing with 18mm plywood.
    All good, but as the room isnt anywhere near square and it was the first time doing this, the joins have some gaps bigger than i hoped. Most are minimal, a few are a little bigger, i was just wondering if its the norm to fill gaps with anything? I was thinking of chaulk? cheerrs:):)

2. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

If you are concerned, though I wouldn't be as long as the plywood bears sufficiently on a joist, buy a bottle of polyurethane based glue (trade name gorilla the, gator glue, egger d4, the last goes on) pour into the gaps and leave for 24hours to fully cure. Polyurethane reacts with air, moisture and temperature, same principle as expanding foam, so it will foam up and fill any gaps you have and make the area rock solid.

3. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

How big are the gaps ?

4. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

What's the final floor finish gonna be ?

5. Crumbs

Crumbs Member

They varie from a few mm to half a cm in places, not that many of them tbh. One area was cut wrong (cm ish wide) so think i am going to cut a bit of ply offcut to size to fill that one. They are screwed down to joists yea, not that concerned just wondered if its normal to fill gaps as its a first for me.
    Final floor will be carpet so wont notice them nor the minor lippage.

The gaps on the otherside of the coin are almost non existant in one or two places and now the wood has expanded slightly i think as it now creeks, will need to take that board up to plane it slightly.
    Thanks will try source some glue :D

6. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Fitting the offcut is the best option.

If you use PU glue, be careful as it isn't nice stuff - get it on your skin and it can turn black until the skin wears off. The glue will work best if the timber is moistened first.

7. Crumbs

Crumbs Member

oh bloody hell, turns the skin black, not good :eek:
    What about chaulk or silcone? or is that a bit of a bodge?:oops:

8. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Some people just use disposable gloves.

Caulk will shrink once it is in and silcone will be messy. The best option is as you said, put some off cuts in the bigger gaps and just use ordinary wood glue - cheaper and safer.