Plywood subfloor under solid oak glueless click lock floor

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Chris Gallani, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Chris Gallani

Chris Gallani New Member

Hi,

Just over a year ago, I laid a glueless click lock solid oak floor over 6mm ply screwed into floorboards. There is a 2mm foam underlay too.

We are having a wall in between 2 rooms removed and I'd like to carry this flooring into the adjeacent room. For reasons I won't get into (unless you really want to know) the subfloor in the 2nd room is 3mm higher (9mm ply onto floorboards). I need to lift the oak flooring up so a plumber can get under floorboards so it will all have to come up anyway, but to get room 1 level with room 2, I was planning on just screwing 3mm ply on top of the 6mm to get up to 9mm.

Can anyone see a problem with doing this? I will do in such a way that the joints don't match up.

I was also considering getting new fibre board underlay as i don't rate the foam. Could I leave the foam in place and sandwich between the 2 layers of ply to add a little more insulation?

Many thanks,

2. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

A couple of points

On the underlay I have just used the rubber Duraly from our hosts and found it to be very good.
    Regarding the 3mm plywood, I'm not sure how flat it would remain as it would be much less stable than 6mm, also if you leave the foam in place you will end up with greater than 9mm. Personally if I was doing it, I would lift the 6mm and lay 9mm and probably create an overlap across the two rooms, so you don't have a continuous joint where the wall once was.

3. vivaro man

vivaro man Active Member

Chris, you say all the flooring is coming up so that the plumber can get into the floor void. Why not simply remove the plywood and replace with something a little more substantial and get your stable surface that way?

The cost will be fairly minimal compared to the faffing about trying to get a level between 2 rooms. I'm assuming it's a masonry wall.

Good luck.