Pointless Product

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Stugadget, May 18, 2015.

1. Stugadget

Stugadget Member

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Totally unnecessary, anything to make money from peeps.:(

Been doing that for the last 30 years, using 20mm-25mm conduit to sleeve holes through walls.:eek:

3. Nah - that's pretty cool... :p

4. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Yer, what's wrong with poking about with an old wire coat hanger, I mean a few hours wasted fishing for wires, or a nice sleeve to slide them through, no contest????

5. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Yeah, but as said, any bit of plastic pipe.....

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

6. Ah, but isn't this sleeve fitted as part of the drill, so you drills yer 'ole, and then push the bit through leaving the sleeve behind?

Nifty...

7. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

I remember drilling a hole through cavity wall in my sisters house. The polystyrene balls should have been put in the walls with a glue but it seems the builder just tipped in loose balls when wall was finished and as a result the balls filled in any hole drilled and with larger holes poured out. I had to inject expanding foam to glue everything before removing the consumer unit and getting a hole through the wall was a two stage job drill hole squirt in expanding foam wait to set then drill it again.

So yes with some houses a very good idea.

8. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

I've never heard of polystyrene ball insulation being glued in. Always starts falling out. ;);)

9. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Yeah. Wait til you drill a hole for a fan!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Wait until you open up a old fireplace!

Did a job years ago opening up a large old fire to bring back into use, for some strange reason whole chimmey had been filled with polystyrene ball insulation, ended up with the half of the room about 3'-4' deep in it.

Jitender and FatHands like this.
  11. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

Having just laughed at that I now await my working day with extreme trepidation....

12. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

psml :D

13. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

I was called to a house where the old dear couldn't get the heating to work. Time clock was dead. Ventured to the Airing Cupboard to start investigations, opened the door, was met by thousands of polystyrene balls (luckily fairly well moulded together). She had had wall insulation done, and there was a hole through to the cavity in the A/C. It wasn't the cause of the fault :p

14. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

I also did something similar once. Breaking through the bottom of a wall for a large cable to enter at a swept angle. This cavity was filled with the little balls. They all started pouring out of the hole into my trench, but blowing across the whole yard. It was a commercial site, and they had just had the old weighbridge taken out and the 10m x 5m area concreted in. It now has lots of little dimples in it, looks quite a nice pattern, lol.

15. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

I came across those little balls a while ago whilst changing a kitchen down light! I took the light out of the ceiling and was greeted by a cascade of the bloody things. It was an old house built around the mid 30's i'd say and some plonker had installed cavity wall insulation where there were no cavities!

KIAB likes this.
  16. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

classic!

17. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Had the downlight overheated by any chance??, this insulation stuff is dangerous in the wrong hands. !!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

18. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Yes Phil, the whole light unit was encased in the stuff.

Last edited: May 19, 2015