Polished concrete floors

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by tesla76, Aug 26, 2015.

1. tesla76

tesla76 New Member

Hi,

I'm having a new build house created and am considering polished concrete floors, I am a tradesman so not complete novice. I was just wondering if anyone has any experience / knowledge of this type of floor. Does anyone recommend any companies that have a good reputation for this flooring ? any horror stories etc...

It's quite expensive but some people have said it's possible to polish the floors yourself as the builder will be laying concrete anyway has the sub-floor ?

Any info would be appreciated :)

2. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

Usually no need to power float them as tiles, carpet, wood etc covers it.

Unless you want your floors finished to FM2 “Special” tolerance warehouse finish?

3. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: I think they want the concrete as the finished surface, very highly polished.

4. Phil the Paver

Either this.

Hamiltons-Gallery-001_big.jpg

Or exposed aggregate

Polished-Concrete-Floor-Derbshire-1024x764.jpg

5. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

That second one is terraza. Very expensive.
    Dunno what the first one is. Possibly coloured concrete. I slap through concrete every day.
    Mostly for cow sheds and such like. Not sure I'd want to be let loose in some ones gaffe with the punter looking over my shoulder. That's where a navvy comes in handy. LoL.
    Though I'm on a biomass project at the moment where a farmer has diversified.
    I've seen terraza used in milking parlours.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
  6. Phil the Paver

They are both polished concrete, nothing else, just concrete and a lot of skill.

7. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

Looks like terrazzo to me.
    It doesn't take skill to stand at the end of a floor sander.

8. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

How long does that finish last? Just asking.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

9. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

Terrazo is prone to staining afaik.

10. Phil the Paver

11. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

Its not standard concrete. Its some other mish mash they make up.
    Which isn't stated on their website.
    Probably about £50 quid per sq/m.

12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

13. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

Also stone resin flooring.

14. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

And very nice too.:)

15. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Seen it on front pathways like a skating rink in wet weather!

KIAB likes this.
  16. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Nothing wrong with resin flooring, if the right product/finish is used for the location.

Broke my wrist some years ago on a front porch step at a posh house that had resin flooring smooth as glass, housekeeper washed it, & it iced over.

17. CARRcrete

CARRcrete New Member

Hi Phil,

You're it is standard concrete, which we ground and polished with diamond abrasives.

We normally specify a C35-C40 mix that is well laid, power floated to consolidate the surface and left to cure for 28 days to develop the necessary strength.

Unfortunately the customer on that project used a cowboy builder who struggled to get the concrete down and ended up adding additional water to the mix, this effectively turned a strong mix into a soft powdery mix, ruining the finish.

Cheers :)

18. CARRcrete

CARRcrete New Member

If you look after the floor with regular cleaning and maintenance (like you would with any premium floor) it will last years and should improve with age.