Polycabonate advice

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by P. Gee, Mar 23, 2017.

1. P. Gee

P. Gee Active Member

This is something I don't tend to get involved with much, but as I've been asked to replace the timbers I may not have a choice. The customer has a kind of lean-to between her house wall and the neighbours brick garage. It's 6' across and 15' in length. What do you reckon is the best way to fit a polycarbonate roof so it won't leak inside but will still drain into a water butt. I'm thinking of 5 sections although the existing is in one peice, or should I try in one peice again? What say you?

2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Twinwall comes in around 2M x 6M so you can do it in one but it will take 2 people to handle it. It's not heavy but very wobbly.

3. I think I'd rather do it in a oner too, if possible - chust less work and less chance for it to go wrong.

But, lots of expansion/contraction to take in to account?

How is the current roof secured?

4. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Didn't realise you could get such big sheets of the stuff...never had to do a polycarbonate roof though :)

5. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

We use it a lot as a substrate for vac form walls, it is lighter, has more structural integrity and obviously less joins than ply so the frame work can be lighter.

CGN likes this.
  6. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  7. P. Gee

P. Gee Active Member

I haven't been on top so I'm not too sure. There is self adhesive flashing which I'm not a great fan of and it's leaking a tad. I think I'll get some prices for doing it in one sheet. The other option is to price myself out of it as it may be just full of problems!
    This is the culprit.

Attached Files:

8. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

What can happen is the cap on top of the fixing pops off and then water can get in.

9. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

It looks like the fall is along the length so it will have to be done in one, the most awkward bit will be cutting a 15' rip in the poly. It cuts very easily but it's just a big bit of floppy stuff to deal with.

10. P. Gee

P. Gee Active Member

Ta, there is a company I dealt with some years ago that cut to size and seal the ends to keep the muck out, I'll see it I can find their number. How would you seal between the walls? I'm not sure the garage owner would be happy with removing a line of mortar.

11. ...fewer...

GNs rool.

12. What I would hope to do in a situation like this is to bond or solvent an poly upstand up along each side flush with the edges and along the top if needed (what does the top seal against - another wall?)

There are solvent adhesives for poly, or you could use you-know-what - slightly abrade the surfaces first, and give it plenty of time to set.

I don't think I'd channel in to the wall even if the guy was ok with it. But def embed the flashing. Try and find a rigid flashing if possible that will lap over your upstands.

(This is all theory, by the way...)

Then yer flashing will work fine - but allow room for expansion or the flashing could possibly crack over time?

(Yes, of course I mean StixAll...)

13. P. Gee

P. Gee Active Member

I'm a great fan of....that product!
    Just checked with a great company called Birchwood Trading, a 4800 x 1900 sheet £169+ vat. Not sure about delivery charge but the price is very good, and that's for 25mm.

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  14. Cool.

Explain to them what you hope to do and the issues with sealing against two walls - see what method they'd suggest.

P. Gee likes this.