Poor man's Scary sharp tool Sharpening system?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by wau5, Jun 6, 2017.

1. wau5

wau5 Active Member

I have been researching about what kind of sharpening stuff to buy for sharpening my chisels/plane irons - currently I only got sandpaper.
    I think I have found what I want but got few more questions, this is the stuff I want to buy:
    I want to get stuff that would last me a lifetime and be of good quality + in the same time I want to get a system that would produce a scary-sharp results.

1- Honing guide , What would you say be a better buy a cheap NEW £7 faithfull brand guide OR an used Vintage Eclipse 36 guide which also costs the same? From the pictures the old Eclipses look good but with the cheap NEW faithfull guide I don't see anything wrong either,maybe anyone has used that cheap faithfull one? I would love to get the veritas one but that's just way out of my budget so I'm stuck between those 2 choices.

2- Sharpening stone &strop , I think I will go for the Combination medium-fine norton Indian stone which can be had for about £10 from ebay in tatty old box, Would that be a good choice? Or I can get something way better than that if I add something a bit more?
    -Also what's the ideal length of a sharpening stones? is 15cm long enough or I want a 20cm one if I will be using it with honing guide?

I do not want the diamond plates as I understand they wear down with time and are not a life-time tool + good ones cost insane amounts.
    From what I have read I understand you really don't need many sharpening stones if you use a leather strop and compound as well?

Would it be enough to get very good results If I only had a good combination stone (medium/fine) stone + a strop?
    as for strop I was thinking of just taking some piece of leather and using Autosol metal polish you can get for a pound from Homebargains store- I read a lot of people use that?

Any ideas/comments on such setup would be highly appreciated.
    Thanks.

2. Honing guides are just a gimmick.
    I have never seen a good carpenter/joiner with one.
    Any good tradesman can sharpen his tools freehand on the stone.

KIAB and Astramax like this.
  3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
  4. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

I do like the cheaper diamond plates - this is the one I use https://tinyurl.com/y75bsuqk and its just fine. Never used a strop and can get my edges sharp enough for me. I also use an old oil stone and some carborundum sticks for concave blades.

5. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Never got on with those honing guides, found the wheel is narrow and is easy to tilt when sharpening.

I went for a Veritas sharpening jig which is quite expensive but very easy to set up and use, until I master how to sharpen freehand!

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

After nearly 40 years, I still can't sharpen freehand properly, I still tend to ocassionally cant the chisel to one side, hence the reason I bought Scheppach 2500 sharpener.:p

tore81 likes this.
  7. wau5

wau5 Active Member

Just watched a video of it, looks SUPER sweeet... However.. its 200notes and takes up so much space :(

8. btiw2

btiw2 Screwfix Select

Just this week people recommended the Paul Seller's woodworking videos. I've spent hours watching (and enjoying) them.

I know I'll never be craftsman (what? You mean there are grits finer than 60?), but they're quite relaxing.

At 33 min he uses a honing guide to sharpen his plane. I've always gone freehand and so thought they looked good.

Now I have Paul Sellers telling me to use one, and you guys telling me not to bother.

But they look cheap and don't take up too much space so I'll probably try one anyway.

9. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Ah, properly angled guide up the side of your bench grinder - zing zing - and finish off with fair and fine emery on hard surface!

10. vivaro man

vivaro man Active Member

Woah thank goodness someone else can't sharpen freehand. I'm rubbish at it and always have been, so about 15yrs ago I got a Tormek and I love it. 50+ yrs ago one of my first jobs was to learn how to sharpen a chisel. I was **** at it but I could sharpen a handsaw no problem. I used to make Eli suck his teeth with my efforts at putting an edge on tools.

How do you lot go about sharpening your circular sawblades? I use my local saw doctor but now I have more time I wondered whether these grinders are any good?

Cheers all.

11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

12. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Does anyone actually sharpen TCT blades?

13. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I have a local firm to do my circular saw blades, if it has an edge they can sharpen it.

https://www.sharpening-service.co.uk/

14. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Wanted a tormek but couldnt/wouldnt justify the money for one, bought tiger 2500 off KIAB s recommendation about six weeks ago for 200 quid. Brilliant machine, nothing else to say.

KIAB likes this.
  15. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Thought I recommended the Scheppach TIGER 2000S to you, I have the bigger continous rated Scheppach 2500 which I got for a very silly cheap price, & couldn't refuse.

16. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Unfortunately, again, you're either taking the mick or oblivious to how you come across. Things cost money I'm afraid. You can't want something to be 'for life' and not want to spend more than a tenner. I suggest you save up for a while until you either accumulate £110 and buy the scheppach tiger 2000s as KIAB has suggested to you, or wait longer and save £200 and purchase the 2500s model, as both of these will last you for life if mines anything to go by.

You could always try Lidl though....... ;)

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  17. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Actually you did, but I went with the larger model as didn't want to regret the 90 quid difference wishing I'd bought the better one a few months down the line.

KIAB likes this.
  18. wau5

wau5 Active Member

I got no space to keep a large machine I will use just to sharpen few chisels/ a plane blade which I use maybe a couple times a month....
    Same as you wouldn't keep a Cow if all you needed was just a glass of milk once a week...

19. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

It's not a large machine though, far from it.

20. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

I was starting to hang my head in shame about the honing guide as I had recently suggested, and admitted to, using one. This is something of a relief. I'm assuming those that implied that using one meant that you weren't a skilled 'craftsman' will be writing to Mr Sellers directly.....

I use mine to re-profile my chisels and plane irons every couple of years or so in the workshop with a quick touch up free hand on a fine diamond stone on site in between times. Using the guide and my assortment of increasingly fine wet-n-dry papers glued to a sheet of glass, I get really good polished results. It is a labour of love though and definitely a rainy day job.

btiw2 likes this.