Poor plastering job - what action can I take?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Don63, Mar 21, 2017.

1. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Your best shovel.

coalshovel.jpg

New tools required.:p :p :p

2. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Mine isn't short from that bad, it's probably over 20 years old...:oops:

It it still works right?

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

No good for me then, I'm left handed.:D

Joe95 and CGN like this.
  4. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Ah, so you will have left handed hammers too? :D

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Nope:(, but I got a left handed potting trowel.:)
    And a left handed tape.:D

[​IMG]

6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Lining paper :confused: looks like the walls want lining with cardboard!:eek:

7. Phil the Paver

And a left handed keyboard for looking up all the answers. :D:D:D

8. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Play nice Mr P :D

9. Phil the Paver

Only joking, MR KIAB is a wealth of knowledge, an asset to the forum.:)

CGN and Dr Bodgit like this.
  10. Don, can you explain what each photo shows - whether they are wall/ceiling joins (cove it as Sos says) or internal or external corners?

Because that will make a difference when it comes to how easy you would find this to sort - if you were daft enough to take this on (it'll take you hours...)

Call/text/whatevs the guy up, explain you hadn't actually looked at the job before you paid him 'cos he'd done such a great job last time, but that you are really disappointed at this work and you shouldn't have to spend hours putting it right. Tell him he has to come back and make it good.

If he refuses, warn him you will get someone else to sort it - and sue him for the cost.

(If it comes to this, then do it - the guy needs to be taught a lesson (and not only in plastering...). But make sure you carry out the process properly - record the communication, etc.)

CGN likes this.
  11. Don63

Don63 Member

Thanks everybody for your feedback. I did finally get hold of him yesterday after I left yet another voicemail saying that I wasn't going to let this go and would come after him for the cost of putting it right.

He says he's going to come back and fill and sand to make it perfect! He's also admitted in a text message that the job isn't great. Not sure whether I really want him back after the cowboy job he's done, but I guess I at least need to give him the chance of putting it right.

The pictures are mainly looking at internal edges between walls (not ceilings, although those edges are just as bad). The external edges were suppose to have been beaded to give a nice crisp edge, but clearly they haven't been. Unfortunately, coving is not the answer for the ceiling as we have just had coving removed to create a more modern look.

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Depending on the age of a house, you can loose it's character, if you remove plaster coving/cornice,even corbels.

13. Don63

Don63 Member

It's a 1950's semi with little character :). I believe the coving was fitting by a previous owner.

14. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Rip it out!:D

15. Well done - you've done the right thing.

Of COURSE you want him back - that's the whole bludy point. He's accepted he's done a poor job - that sort of humility is pretty darned rare ion a tradespeep, let me tell you ( ;) ) so ACKNOWLEDGE it and say 'thanks' to the guy. He's coming back to sort it - that's all good. Don't rub his nose in it!

BUT, external corners really should have a beading - it's almost certainly gonna chip over time if not. He ain't going to like this, but he need to cut away a couple of inches back from that corner and embed a beading before making good again.

That's why you need to be magnanimous - get him on side.

When he turns up massage his ego as it may be fragile - remind him he'd done a REALLY good job for you before, so you were doubly disappointed this time. But you REALLY appreciate him acknowledging this right away and coming back to sort it - you want both of you to feel good about this job.

Then you walk him around the job, pointing out all the poor bits... :rolleyes:

When you come to the external corner, say it matter-of-fact as if you EXPECT him to acknowledge that it also needs sorting. Just say "That's going to start getting chipped away without a beading..." If he baulks at all, keep on being matter-of-fact.

But, be gracious. 'Cos he's got egg on his face.

16. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Magnanimous :eek: posh word on this forum...:D

Deleted member 164349 likes this.

17. Does that mean use a magnifying glass when he returns ?:rolleyes:

KIAB likes this.
  18. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Give it a thick coat of vinyl silk before he returns...that'll teach him! :D

KIAB likes this.
  19. wau5

wau5 Active Member

thats just pathethic, I have plastered only 2 times in my life and even with my first try it came out so much better :D

You can ''fix'' it with easyfill however...

Whoever suggested Liningpaper - LOL, please don't....

20. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Maybe he was drunk when he did the plastering?