Porcelain floor tiles on old adhesive

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by Braesideman, Mar 14, 2015.

1. Braesideman

Braesideman Member

I've just taken my kitchen floor tiles up which have been down for 20 years. They came off quite well but about 90% of the adhesive stayed put. It's on top of ply and I never had any problems with the old tiles. I've tried removing some of the adhesive but it's a real pain. Is there any reason why I can't tile on top of the old adhesive? Would save an awful lot of time and effort.
    Cheers.

2. BLUEJACKET

BLUEJACKET Active Member

Simple answer would be no reason why you can't tile over this. If the remaining adhesive stuck down is solid, well fixed then your only problem is going to be getting things level, as you spread your adhesive you are going to have to make up this area as it's already higher than other parts. Best thing would be to remove all the adhesive, if it's not too big of a room remove and re-board.

Hope this helps

B J

3. Braesideman

Braesideman Member

Thanks for that. It's a fair size room so I think I'll go for lazy option and lay them on top. No doubt I'll live to regret it.
    Cheers.

4. Ghost-1

Ghost-1 Active Member

Get rid of any loose.......Hoover floor. Prime, then self level.

Then tile away.

5. Braesideman

Braesideman Member

Self levelling worked a treat, thanks very much.

Next question is how do I remove the protective wax film on the tiles? Will a steam cleaner do the job?