Porcelain tiles chipping

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by Very Confused, Apr 3, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Very Confused

Very Confused New Member

Hi all as said above I'm chipping the porcelain tiles I'm cutting.

I have just bought a Rubi ND180 and a new blade for porcelain tiles and its chipping the tiles not big chips but. My old £20 Plasplugs wet tile cutter dose perfect cuts on the same tiles. It's just not big enough to hold the tiles while cutting them.

I'm not forcing the tiles I'm letting the cutter do the work plenty of water in the tray just small chips all along the cuts.

Thanks for any advice.

Cheers

2. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I noticed this also when I first brought a wickes tile cutter (£35-40) - this gave a much superior cut to other cutters I have used. What blade is currently fitted and thickness?

3. Very Confused

Very Confused New Member

All that is on the package is CPC180 its a continuous blade in red for porcelain tiles a genuine Rubi blade

4. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Looks like the right blade, 180 is the diameter in mm. That,s a 2mm thick blade.

The wickes cutter had a smaller blade than this, I think 150mm, gave good cuts but machine didn't have enough power at only 450W, and eventually failed.

5. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Rubi blades aren't cheap either, retailing at over £40.

6. Very Confused

Very Confused New Member

None of it was cheep but the cheep cutter dose better cuts madness

7. Ghost-1

Ghost-1 Active Member

Try cutting the tiles upside down......sometimes works

8. mpcapri

mpcapri New Member

Putting too much pressure on the scorer can cause chipping!
    Happens with my Rubi - so hardly any pressure required on some tiles.

9. Very Confused

Very Confused New Member

Ghost I have tried this smaller chipping but still chipping

Mpcapri this is a wet disk cutter no scoring required

Cheers

10. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

There is one video on YT which shows gaffa tape being applied to the tile before cutting to prevent or minimize chipping.

Not tired this myself as don't have a cutter anymore, last erbauerr broke down too.

11. mpcapri

mpcapri New Member

Doh! Sorry didn't look up model number & jumped to conclusion.

Don't suppose your plasplugs blade will fit the Rubi? I use a Briccolina wet cutter & this sometimes chips the tiles so cut upside down as ghost recommended but still to no avail to you but it does work for my cutter. Wonder if you have a duff blade?

12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Done very little work with porcelain tiles,only my last place, used a few different blades like Bosch 2608602635,Rubi & a few others, Marcrist were carp & I still got fine chipping whether cutting face down or up on quite a few tiles.

13. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

I much prefer my little plasplugs cutter. The little narrow blade just seems to cut whatever is thrown at it. Just finished a bathroom using 600 x600 porcelain with it. As long as it isn't forced it doesn't chip. I found I had to cut from both sides to avoid a corner snip. I also found that as the last 1/2" was left to cut the tile would snip - any roughness on the snip would always be away from the side I had feed pressure on (i.e. on the waste side)

What I did was make up a table out of some melamine faced chip (all I had to hand) which the little plasplugs sits in to. i.e. cut a hole to fit it, then routered a small rebate for the flange round the edge, and sat it on legs. Worked a treat.

14. Ghost-1

Ghost-1 Active Member

On very hard tiles, I score first with manual cutter, then wet cut.......it usually works.